The Giant English Market Thread

You bring up a good point.

If you want to engage with modern, there is so little downtime. Every few months we have another set/promos to look forward to. When do modern collectors sit down and enjoy what they have without thinking about what is next on their docket?

I try to sit down with my modern collection as frequently as I can, but it’s always changing and evolving. :melting_face:

2 Likes

Agreed, it’s easy to dismiss HF as a bad or subpar set in hindsight because TPCi has spoiled us so much since, but let’s not forget that everyone was raving almost as much for HF in 2019 as they are now for Eevee Heroes and Vstar. Hidden Fates absolutely was considered one of the pinnacles of modern collecting at the time, newer sets have just become better by comparison, that’s all. It doesn’t affect the inherent value of preceding sets. Bad sets were always bad, good sets will always be good, but some sets will just simply prove to be better.

1 Like

Modern is incredibly exhausting in my opinion. Its always tearing at break neck speeds and it never stops comin lol. It feels like this sometimes Squidwards Life in Tentacle Acres 😃😄😐😑😕🙁☹️😩😫😖😣😭 These are all Squidward feelings - YouTube

I think Hidden Fates is an important set. I also think the greatness of chase cards in newer sets is marred by the awful pull rates. Not that hidden fates is particularly completable by ripping packs either tho lol

2 Likes

Here is a tekno Topps charizard in played condition selling for a price I had no idea it would reach. Is this shilled or an actual organic sale?
2000 TCG Pokemon Charizard #06 Topps Chrome Holochrome Holographic Card | eBay

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was legitimate. Tekno Chromes are the rarest of the Topps chase cards, and it is a Charizard after all. Maybe the buyer is hoping for the PSA 10?

Most recent PWCC sales:
PSA 9 - $8,400 (1/22)
PSA 10 - $60,000 (1/22)
BGS 9 - $5,100 (10/20)

Edit: It definitely won’t get a 10 if graded. Also, I checked the bid history. It is possible that it was shilled at lower amounts, but the winner does not appear to be a shill account.

1 Like

I’m looking to buy this PSA 9 Crystal Charizard, but I’d like a second opinion on the condition. BIN is ~$5700, but I’m hoping to get it for closer to $5000.

It’s closer to being an 8 than a 10 that’s for sure

6 Likes

Looks like a very weak 9. Clearly not a pack-fresh card. Could be worse, but should’ve been an 8 at best based on what’s visible in the photos.

Agreed with others here that it’s not the mintiest of PSA 9s, but sometimes owning the card in any condition is better than not owning it at all.

That said, if you’re spending $5K on a card, make sure that you purchase a copy that you will be happy with.

10 Likes

I know these aren’t exactly comparable but this is wild to me

5 Likes

might just be me but the old PSA holders bother me. If I’m spending $5k I want the latest “light house” holder otherwise I gotta spend ~$70 and wait a few months while worrying about damage during re-holder.

1 Like

I’m not too fussed about old slab vs new slab personally, as long as the card looks like its grade. This card looks a bit rough for a 9 though.

1 Like

There’s also a PSA 9 1st Edition Mysterious Mountains Crystal Charizard in slightly better condition for sale at a similar price. Looking at PSA pop reports there are only 71 of them compared to the Skyridge’s 251. Less rare than JP unlimited but much rarer than the Skyridge one. Good alternative?

I wouldn’t look into the pop report too much. It is possible that many Japanese copies are still sitting in Japan.

Note that the Japanese copies will have a different holo type as well.

(Not my card)

If price point was equivalent, I would personally choose the English Crystal Charizard.

5 Likes

Cases shouldn’t make a difference but they do to some. All cases will be older cases at some point. There’s better and worse 9s out there imo.

Them aint english

6 Likes

I’m not too familiar with graded cards. How different are the new PSA slabs? Looking at that pic I honestly don’t notice a difference.

Also, does recasing really cost $70? That’s crazy. I assumed it’d be 10 bucks or something, since there’s no grading or anything literally just casing.

It’s the label. I don’t think theres much difference with the actual plastic slab.

Recasing has different tiers just like grading. It’s riskier to crack an expensive card so it’s more expensive to do so. This one would probably submit at lowest tier of $25, but insured shipping both ways would likely double that or more so $70 is possible.

shipping to psa: $5-???
reholder: $25
insured shipping back from psa: $40

plus all the time you waste refreshing your “orders” page adds up

1 Like

As a matter of interest, has anyone else experienced a noticeable slow down in sales and interest from buyers this past week? It’s probably just specific to my page, especially as I don’t review prices very often, and being UK based, but every week i’ll at the very least get offers and queries about cards. This last 7 days has been nothing but radio silence and tumbleweed, and I’m wondering if there’s a wider trend?