The Giant English Market Thread

Seems crazy that I am typing up a response to this, but I saw what I think are some misconceptions.

The risk for buying a physical item and storing it is almost always going to be higher than the risk of buying a stock. There is so much more that can go wrong from product being damaged, stolen, lost, and faked. Stocks don’t have this extra risk and it’s hard to quantify the extra risk that comes with collectibles. This is one of the many reasons why it’s not really possible to compare pokemon products to the stock market like you did with facebook. Liquidity and fungibility also come to mind as things that make it impossible to compare the two.

Then you talk about demand always being there in our lifetime which is just a baseless claim. You also say the worst case scenario is a set exploding like generations or evolutions when you detailed above that it’s possible to literally lose your entire collection. It happened to someone here after FedEx lost a box with hundreds of thousands worth of cards at the time that were sent to PWCC without insurance.

Lastly, you talk about inflation getting worse (increasing). When inflation increases, interest rates typically increase as well. When this happens people usually stop buying things. Especially non-essential items. Pokemon cards are a luxury good. It would be one of the first things people stop buying if they are struggling to buy essentials due to increased inflation.