The Giant English Market Thread

A lot of Pokemon items have dropped by over 30% since a year or two ago. I think AlphaInvestments is a very different situation, the scale at which he buys product, and the price he’s able to get product at, allows him to make those moves in a way that works for him. We’ve also yet to see how the increased production will impact the market down the road. I feel like using what worked before as a metric of comparison isn’t valid because modern post 2020 is unlike anything we’ve seen previously. I also think Evolutions is a perfect storm situation and required pretty exceptional circumstances to occur, it isn’t a given with every set (also, Generations didn’t rly explode, if Hidden Fates hadn’t been reprinted, it’d probably be outpacing Generations, as it was already creeping up to $500 for ETBs and it’s 3 years newer).

Assuming the demand for these sets is always gonna be there is what a lot of people who are squatting on product are doing right now. I think the biggest thing is opportunity cost. Yea, you could buy some booster boxes and sit on them for 5 or 6 years and wait for them to go up. But it’s a lot of space and money tied up for a long time. Now that millions of sealed products are likely being stored away as “investments,” the already massive supply of them is much larger. There’s gonna have to be some pretty hefty demand for these boxes to push them. Imo, there’s literally everything else in the hobby that is a better investment than English modern rn. Exceptional outcomes require exceptional circumstances and I feel like it worked before because people didn’t have the insight of knowing things would turn out the way they did; it wasn’t as “easy” of a thing as it is now. If everyone knew sealed would increase the way it did, everyone would’ve held onto it and then it wouldn’t have done what it did. Low effort = low reward. I think the idea of modern booster boxes being a virtually no risk, high reward scenario is gonna burn the shit out of many people. I also think investing in the S&P500 is a much better option than modern Pokemon boxes, that’s about as good as it gets in terms of low risk, high reward imo.

This is just my opinion tho, who knows, modern could stonk and I could be totally wrong. I personally feel like there is many other items that require a bit more effort that are gonna run circles around modern booster boxes in 5 or 6 years.

1 Like