The Giant E4 Megathread

Hi All,

As we have had so much success with the past megathreads, we’ve decided to move away from the traditional thread-based forum. Posts on all of E4’s topics should now be made in the Giant E4 Megathread! Regardless of people’s views on this, the staff felt this was the best option for the future of the fourum! I hope that we can embrace this new spirit of engagement, the megathreads have been so great and have generated such insightful, respectful, and informed discussion that we really wanted to mirror across the entire forum. Let’s bring that same level of discussion to our new E4 Megathread!

From the other megathreads, the rules will be similar. Of course, any posts which should go in the Giant E4 Megathread but are not posted here will be moved, locked, or removed at moderator discretion. Only extremely specific questions, large developments, and dedicated and maintained threads like price data, PSA updates, or collection threads are allowed to be separate. Long-form contests and events like Secret Santa or the current art contest are also allowed to be separate threads. So excited to start this new chapter in the evolution of the fourum!

35 Likes

Finally

Finally.

2 Likes

Finally some peace in this chaos, I was unable to scroll through all different threads, this will be waay less chaotic, thank you!

April fools?

3 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new efour megathreads. Looking for posts across different threads is such a hassle.

Can we create a megathread about this megathread or should posts of that nature go in this megathread?

6 Likes

Megathread inception

1 Like

Hi all! Hope I posted this in the right place!

I had a quick question for you. I have about $12.50 USD in my checking account and was wondering what card(s) I should invest in so I can make some quick money. I was thinking about buying some Vivid Voltage commons and sitting on them for a few months before selling them or possibly getting them graded at PSA? What do you guys think I should do, is this a smart move? I also have about $13 USD in liquid assets that I can free up if you think I need to invest a little bit heavier.

Thanks!

16 Likes

Metathread

1 Like

first

In fact, I actually think that reducing your storage space is a really good idea. I know that when I consolidated my collection and downsized, it made me focus more on what I needed for my collection specifically instead of getting distracted with little odds and ends.

Edit: Wait… why was my response moved here?

2 Likes

Guys I’m really trying to decide between a base set 2 Pikachu and an unlimited jungle Pikachu. This is for an investment so it needs to stonk PLZ HELP.

When you cover the Base 2 set symbol with yellow marker you’ll have yourself a regular Base Pika that can stonk for real.

2 Likes

Yeah but unlimited was much more available. Second edition cards are also unique in that no other set symbol is just a number. Might be something to think about

1 Like

Hi! PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY! (There might be a quiz.) I have been selling Pokemon since January 1999. Boy, do I wish I had all the wrappers I threw away when I was selling single cards at the mall. But, look, if everyone saved the wrappers, they wouldn’t be worth anything! Or, as one of my favorite comedians (Boston’s Steven Wright) said back in the 1980s, “If you had it all, where would you put it?” How true. This is an auction for a sealed Jungle 1ST EDITION booster pack. The auction starts–like every auction I have ever conducted on Ebay since 2000–at 88 cents with no reserve. I admit I have a lot of Pokemon. At least 90% of what I have, I am leaving to my children. That’s what children are for! You are a bidding for a sealed booster pack of 1st Edition Team Rocket. I am convinced that for every pack of JUNGLE produced, there were a MINIMUM OF 50 TO 100 PACKS OF BASE MADE!. How do I know this? Simple. In September of 1999, Wizards of the Coast was purchased by Hasbro, the Providence, Rhode Island toy company. In mid-October of 1999–when I was selling base packs at $10 each–someone sold me 1,500 base packs. Since Wizards had told me over the phone in early June of 1999–I was a good customer–that they were going to discontinue Base, Jungle and Fossil by the end of June. Consequently, over the summer prices were rising especially for Base since supply was dwindling. So where was this guy who offered me 1,500 packs of Base getting them? Well, the answer is: Hasbro after buying Wizards went back on press and made several million more Base packs! How many million packs did they make in the fall of 1999? Who knows? BUT IT WAS A LOT. I even bought 1,500 additional packs of Base from the guy–and he told me he got them at Walmart. That’s when I knew that Hasbro had printed more of Base. And that, my fellow Ebayers, is why Jungle and Fossil are extremely hard to find in 2020. Imagine what the price of Base packs would be today if Hasbro hadn’t flooded the market in the fall of 1999. I know I had to drop my prices in half for Base packs and my sales plummeted 80% anyway. Walmart was cheaper. But Hasbro didn’t go back on press for Fossil and Jungle. I have less Jungle 1st Edition packs than I have Portuguese packs and I don’t have a lot of Portuguese packs! THIS PACK IS UNWEIGHED. Your guess is as good as mine. A few people have asked me if I think prices are too high for Pokemon right now. No, they are too low. The economists talk about supply and demand. Wrong. It’s really demand and demand. If something is rare and there is no demand, the product is worthless or close to worthless. Business schools teach students “buy low, sell high.” Wrong. Wrong 100% Wrong. They should be teaching, "buy high, sell higher. I have been in business more than 35 years and there is one thing I have learned. When you think the price is low, it’s really high, and when you think the price is high, it’s really low. The $6 million painting becomes a $28 million painting 8 years later. The box of 1986-87 Fleer Basketball cards hits an “insane price of $6,000 a box in 1997 and today it’s $50,000 a box plus. In 5 or 7 years, I expect that box to sell for $300,000 or more. DON’T BET AGAINST IT. I know these prices seem high, but they are not. If you ever saw the movie Risky Business” with Tom Cruise, you know, as one character tells Tom, “sometimes you have to say WTF.” Winner to add $12.85 for insured shipping with signature required if you live in the continental U.S. I also ship worldwide through Ebay’s Global Shipping Program, See Ebay for details. Thanks for stopping by. (I get paid by the word). If you have a question, please ask. Did I ever tell you about the time I unknowingly sold a case of 288 Base Shadowless packs in 2010 for $4 per pack? Not a good move, huh. Thanks. Jerry

4 Likes

I see you’ve stumbled across beaniesandphotosandbooks

LOL I didn’t think anyone else would recognize it

Well since we’re on in one place what should I buy? :stuck_out_tongue: