The best non-TCG item you've never heard of - Pokemon Tales

Hey all,

this subject is really close to my heart, so bear with me for a lengthy and picture-heavy thread where I will try to convey my bold claim of why I think these are the “best” non-TCG items.
When I hit up the e4 search engine, there wasn’t even one single fitting result. So I guess it’s fair to assume that the majority here isn’t aware of these books.

Pokemon Tales, or ポケモンえほん in Japanese, are a series of picture books published by Shogakukan, Inc. from 1997 - 2003 with a total release of 61 volumes, seperated into 4 discrete series. 34 of these volumes were also translated in English. You can look up the Bulbapedia page for more details.
As they were primarily targeted to small children, the books are typically made out of thick cardboard and have each merely 18 illustrated pages with a little short story. They typically focus on the interactions between Pokemon and their adventures, not on fighting or human trainers.

Now the most interesting part to me are the illustrators of these books, because many of them are absolute staples in the TCG.
Arita, Himeno, Komiya, Tanaka, Baba, Kimura, Ooyama, Kizuki, Morii, Aoki, Itoh, Kusube, Harada - heck, there’s even one from our beloved Keiji Kinebuchi. Many of them even illustrated multiple books.

I know that for many of us, one of our favorite qualities of a TCG artwork is when it is able to tell a story - so then what could be better than a literal story solely consisting of exclusive artwork by our dearest artists that can’t be seen anywhere else and straight from the golden age?

I was able to get hold of a substantial collection from Mercari Japan and am now in the possession of 45/61 books. I want to share some of my personal favorites and examples from artists that I know have a solid fanbase on e4. I’ll always show the cover and first double page. If you want to view the whole book, just click on “Spoiler” :blush:

Pokemon Tales #1: Charmander Sees a Ghost (Kagemaru Himeno), June 1997

SPOILER: Click to show

btw., on the binding of the very last page of each book, there’s always one Pokemon that’s “hidden” somewhere in the story (in this case it’s Mew) and it’s your fun little side-quest to find it :blush:

PT #6: Onix Underground (Benimaru Itoh), July 1997 ← this one has some wild 90s CGI.

PT #8: Transforming Metamon (Sumiyoshi Kizuki), July 1997

PT #10: Let Me Borrow Your Leek, Kamonegi-kun (Yukiko Baba), July 1997

PT #12: Sihorn and the Planet’s Navel (Mitsuhiro Arita), August 1997 ← just a Ryhorn casually piercing through the entire globe

PT #16: Ready, Set, Dodo! (Tomokazu Komiya), October 1997 ← one of my absolute favorites. As “Komiya” as it gets!

PT # 33: Little Ghost (Aya Kusube), June 1998 ← There’s a wonderful YT video that reads the story in English. This exact video is actually how I first found these books.

PT #34: Magnemite’s Mission (Keiji Kinebuchi), June 1998 ← wild CGI, even wilder story!

PT #36:Let’s Make Pizza, Wanriky! (Yuka Morii), July 1998

Phew. That’s a lot of pics.

The elephant in the room is obviously that i can’t read Japanese. The artworks do most of the talking, tho.
If you by any chance have some of these books and want to help me to complete my collection, I invite you to check out my Pokemon Tales Checklist, where you can see what I have and what I still need.

Lastly, for the love of god, please don’t quote the entire post. Otherwise this thread will become a completely unreadable mess, haha :grin:

Really hope this gives you a little insight in these wonderful books and maybe even motivates you to get a volume from your favorite illustrator or one that features your favorite Pokemon. :blush:

Cheers!

26 Likes

Pokemon Tales are S tier! Most feature artists from the tcg, golden era, and just overall whimsical art!

3 Likes

My heart… My heart!

My absolute favorite Pokemon books ever. I have a few of the english releases! Keiji was my foray into them of course! Komiya, Himeno and Kusube are essentials!!

You bring such quality threads into this Efourian world my friend! GAWWWD I love it!

9 Likes

WOW, the Rhyhorn!

2 Likes

I guess i have competition as im searching for the gold/silver ones daily haha.

But all that aside, im glad someone found these treasures and is enjoying them as much as I do. A fun fact (which im not sure many know about either) is that a bunch if them exist in english as well but are a lot harder to source.

Regardless, these are definitely up there as some of the coolest non tcg items being that the art is just incredible all around.

1 Like

Excellent archive! I love these. My favorite aspect is the themed textured covers for each. I have the Chansey one.

The books also have a special tie in with the TCG via the Rainbow Energy backside in the Creatures Corporate History Deck:
pokumon.com/pokemon-card-game-25th-anniversary-creatures-corporate-history-deck/

6 Likes

Heck yes. There doesn’t seem to be much demand for them, but even less supply! Don’t think I’ve ever seen them in the wild yet :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I have, but every single time im late to the party haha. I ramped up searching though in the past month so hopefully one day both you and i will find some sets! :fire:

1 Like

Ohhh that’s awesome! Glad they get some recognition on such a rare and exclusive item as the Corporate History Deck.

The textured covers are magnificent! I contemplated pointing them out, but I didn’t want to get into too much detail. The textures alone would be worthy of a thread!

1 Like

This Onix right here is what I mean when I say they should’ve done a set styled with the N64 animations. Looks better than the Gym Heroes one, this with cosmos would be completely epic.

1 Like

WOW! @muk, these are amazing! I’m sure they’ll be fun to flip through every once in a while. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

The Komiya artwork fills me with nostalgia for something I’ve never seen before… Thanks for sharing @muk!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh @muk, This is Incredible!!! Thank u for sharing this especially love Baba Farfetch’d

2 Likes

Oh no, why did you tell the world about this product now, I still have to complete the series ç.ç

1 Like

Cant wait to start bidding against all of you on Buyee now for these :blush:

these are super interesting, love the artwork

1 Like

Whaaat these are amazing! that Onix CGI tunnel/wormhole is brilliant haha

2 Likes

Every time I see classic Sumiyoshi Kizuki art I always wonder WTF happened to Sumiyoshi Kizuki art these past few years. Not saying she is a bad artist or anything but…yeah

1 Like

Same dude. Her early-mid era stuff are timeless classics; these Pokemon Tales are no different.

But her creativity seemingly fell off a steep cliff somewhere around HGSS in 2010. I’m actually contemplating doing my first purposefully incomplete artist binder for Kizuki. Not gonna bother with her recent stuff that looks like every generic art ever and nothing like her actual unique “Kizuki style”.

2 Likes

I think if youre looking to collect an artist because you liked their artwork once, it is important to follow their journey.
In comparison, Komiya was absolutely iconic in the early tcg years. He had multiple artwork in almost every set until DP era. If you look through his art catalogue many of his DP-SM era artworks arent as inspired as some of his first pieces.
Flashforward to today, Komiya is once again spitting out the absolute best artwork he has ever done and they look very different from his original work.
Obviously artists evolve, its been 25ish years since Kizuki has been drawing for pokemon, Perhaps soon they will start blowing our mind once again :heart_eyes: