The Australian Dollar...

YOU LISTEN TO ME SOLDIER!!! IT AINT OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS!!! (grabs salmoncannon and slaps him repeatedly across the face) THERE IS STILL HOPE MY FRIEND, Japanese cards are still fairly decent to get from japan from AMI AMI, we can still collect but not as aggressively as before. Like the Legendary Gary said we can ask other collectors who are willing to mark packages for high end cards at a significantly lower value or even as a gift! We also dont know how they are going to implement the import tax or how much it will be. The biggest problem is the weak Australian dollar.

We shall go on to the end, we shall COLLECT in France,
we shall COLLECT on the seas and oceans,
we shall COLLECT with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our COLLECTIONS, whatever the cost may be,
we shall COLLECT on the beaches,
we shall COLLECTon the landing grounds,
we shall COLLECT in the fields and in the streets,
we shall COLLECT in the hills;
we shall never surrender

5 Likes

Oh dude. You seriously rock. Lol

2 Likes

This post is now the the lockscreen on my phone. Thanks for the motivation fam. We’ll pull through these tough times :')

3 Likes

lol at @dragontype
If you think about it if you bought cards at around parity your investment has grown around 30%. But obviously buying power has diminished but you gotta catch them all! It is crappy how fast it seemed to drop, but what makes it worse is the ludicrous shipping costs for cards I swear I have sent like 25,000 messages to different sellers asking if they maybe pretty please not charge $22USD to ship one card.

4 Likes

I’ve found most wont budge on the shipping because they prefer to use the GSP, but have had a few say yes

3 Likes

I hate the GSP with a passion! I was supposed to get a full refund including shipping on a purchase and the buyer even paid the full amount but the GSP wouldn’t refund me! With the conversion it’s around $40AUD, which is insane shipping for one graded card

4 Likes

I don’t ship to Australia at all, save for friends I personally trust, simply because I’ve had an issue every time I’ve tried. Too many people trying to rip you off. Additionally, the lack of insurance is concerning. The price of insurance is absurd. I’ve had more people file cases because the cards were taking too long and get their money back, then get my cards and keep them, than I have had successful deals.

2 Likes

I had the most unfortunate experiences with Australian buyers as well, but once first class Delcon became an option and items were fully tracked, the problems stopped occurring. I had hands down the most “I didn’t receive the card” charge backs from Australia.

I had one where the guy bought a graded card, opened a case, I refunded as I knew I wouldn’t win. I then checked their profile on a whim, and saw they listed the card… Ebay/Paypal said I couldn’t get my money back as I “voluntarily” provided a refund.

Anyway, USPS First class Delcon stopped all of that. I would recommend using that for items that are not valuable enough to justify Express shipping.

2 Likes

Damn that sucks, I can definitely understand the disdain, especially with eBay’s tendency to almost automatically side with buyers no matter the situation.

1 Like

You mentioned the Delcon shipping in person as well. Can you elaborate? Is this an option through PayPal labels?

He might be referring to pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Can you tell me more about how to use it? Do I print the label off from my computer then get a customs slip from the PO?

No, it is automatically included by PayPal/USPS when you print the label on their site.

Edit: I have never gotten the customs slip from the PO. I just print the label like you would for domestic packages, and drop it off in the collection box or hand it off to my mailman.

1 Like

For those who won’t ship to AU, I’d suggest simply require a gift payment. At least the buyer will have an option so they can get the item if they really want. Better than no option.

1 Like

I am not sure if the trouble was prior to the DELCON thing, but I have had a relatively smooth time when selling to Australian members (both on eBay and outside). In fact, a few of my sales lately seem to be mainly from Australia lol. There was only a small issue once where someone at USPS thought Australia = Austria, and the package was delayed about a week an a half while it went from the US to Austria to the US and then back to Australia lol. Of course, that wasn’t the buyer’s fault at all. Other than that, I haven’t had many issues dealing with Australians :blush:

2 Likes

This is just terrible. eBay’s seller protection is atrocious. I’ve had similar experiences with eBay customer service, they do not care at all about sellers.

They punish you if you don’t refund the buyer right away and they escalate the case to eBay, and if you do refund them right away, you can’t get the money back even if you can prove that the item was delivered.

Edit: eBay’s policy is to, and I quote directly from a customer service rep, “hold sellers responsible for the item until delivery to the buyer.” In short, not only are you responsible for shipping to the buyer, you are responsible for the job of USPS/the carrier delivering the item to the buyer.

4 Likes

I’ve had no problems either shipping to AU. My comment was directed at those who won’t ship to AU.

1 Like

I think a lot of people (not directing to anyone here obviously, but just in general). Have this fear of the Australian Postal Service being prone to losing packages and generally being a poor service, and I think that stems just from the amount of time everything takes.

Australians are bad for it as well, they think because a package takes 3 or 4 weeks it means the person has scammed them. The only faults I can personally give Auspost is their prices for certain services are incredibly outrageous.

I’ll second that, only ever had one no show that I’m pretty sure wasn’t a scam.

Fellow Australians, patience comes to those who wait!

2 Likes