TCA Gaming 1st Ed Base Box SCAM. Is any box safe?

How does everyone think this will affect the markets for the future. If these resealing scammers have gotten that good is any box safe? Are the boxes we have sitting in our safes right now even legit? I mean if TCA GAming, somenone who has been around pokemon for as long as he has and has one of the most trained eyes out there for this stuff can be fooled who cant? If you haven’t watched the video check it out on TCA Gaming YouTube, it is the newest one.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I guess you just have to buy from a trusted source that stands behind it and will be there if something does go wrong

2 Likes

Clear wrap has always been an issue for booster boxes. I have started buying YGO booster boxes and for that reason alone, I will never buy a clear wrap booster box. Only the ones with the Konami logo

4 Likes

You would call TCA Gaming a trusted source, wouldn’t you? And he could’ve already sold it the past years without knowing what he’s selling.

1 Like

Yeah but if you came back to him and said it was resealed it’s not like he would say “too bad” you’d be refunded I’d assume… or at least compensated in some form or fashion. Unlike some random source.

How would you know it’s resealed? I assume most people buying these nowadays aren’t going to open them and most wouldn’t even shake it like crazy how Rusty did to see the packs lol

I think when the monetary amount gets this high, it becomes a serious crime and the offender could be looking at jail time for fraud if someone were to scam another person out of a box like this.

6 Likes

No one should buy a 1st edition base set box ever again unless they’re buying directly from a highly reputable seller with expertise in these boxes who can verify its authenticity. Every box needs to be given the highest level of scrutiny. If you’re not comparing any potential box side-by-side to a box that is known to be authentic, it’s not good enough.

1 Like

So you don’t think people who own or even manage printing and sealing companies can match the logos on the boxes the same way they sealed this box with the exact same plastic in the exact same way that wizards did so good that rusty couldn’t even tell?

With todays technology don’t you think its fair to say anything can be faked? I mean Magic has had major problems with it and now since pokemon is moving up in worth those people are going to move this direction.

At some point, technology has to be fought with technology. Think of the way experts put old baseball cards and other antiques under a microscope. This is the kind of scrutiny that is needed for 1st edition base set boxes prior to purchase.

Mondo bummer here man. That succcckkkkkkksss. I’m not sure how this will affect the future market for booster box sales, but it is for sure a super great video to help those buying! This video (and his other recent video about checking base set boxes) are excellent sources of info for us to use in identifying boxes for purchases.

You also reap what you sow, whoever faked this box, whether it be the dude who sold it to rusty or the person that guy got it from or whoever, some day some way they are going to reap the results of this scummy act. He probably went into the rainforest to sell fake rare rocks to naive indigenous jungle people haha.

And lastly, rusty and I have the same pocket knife. That blue Kershaw knife is such a great knife!

1 Like

I mean if technology has come this far, a person can actually buy $150k printing equipment to either print logos on a clear wrapper for $500-$15k booster boxes OR print a $3m Honus Wagner OR just print $100m worth of USD.

Buying an empty booster box for $800, a good quality $50 heat seal and a $2 clear wrap however is more doable I believe.

2 Likes

*1st Edition Mystery Box!

11 Likes

I was floored at that video. I feel awful for TCA Gaming that that happened. If there is a positive to take from it, at least the evidence of tampering was captured on film and we all can benefit from that.

3 Likes

Hey ya’ll

So to be fair I should have checked this more closely years ago. That part is 100% on me. Those scratches were surely there when I bought the box since I have pretty much kept the thing in the same bubble wrap since I bought.

I traded for this box from a guy that I had worked with for years. My wife has always said I am too trusting of people, so when I finally got the box in I just did a few basic checks and tucked it away. I will say also that Im not sure the tape would have shaken loose when I bought it. They may have only happened from the glue in the tape loosening.

Now I was upset with the box, but the more I think about it Im still glad I traded for/bought it. This deal happened in 2013 so I had been in the hobby about 5 years. At this point I only had a a handful of sealed products in my collection, and nothing terribly serious. It was a major milestone for me to get this box and really pushed my growth as a collector. Resealed and all, it probably did more for my collecting maturity over the years than any one thing.

51 Likes

Why can’t the remaining 99.99% of the people in the community be as mature as Rusty?

2 Likes

@thecharizardauthorty Do you think the seller knew the box was rewrapped? I remember that is when the re-packs started to really hit the scene. I remember pokerev got swindled by a guy who did a few.

3 Likes

Shut up chok.

2 Likes

You’re right, but there is really no way to prove who actually did it, which is what makes solving something like this difficult, if not impossible.

It could have been the guy who sold Rusty the box or it could have been some guy two or three sales prior.

Id like to think not. We did a lot of deals together, most of which we sent mail at the same time directly to each other. He was still in contact with me for at least 1 or 2 years after we traded this. I would think he would have dropped off sooner if he knew.

I dont think I will ever know for sure unless someone confesses. Im just glad it was caught on my end. I was not considering selling now but I have in the past. I remember having that box + 16x PSA 10 1st ed holos set from base + 3 1st ed base PSA 10 packs all up for sale for $25k on ebay. If that had sold, I may have never made it passed that sale and been in regular work force right now.

3 Likes