Swolepoke's Signature Thread w/ Provenance! (10/27 ✨ 2004 World Championship Arita Sketch ✨)

Hello there and welcome to my latest collection thread!

As you may have guessed, the purpose of this thread will not only be to showcase my beloved signautres I have acquired over the years, but to also talk about the stories behind them. The who, what, where and why with each one that is signed! Provenance is HUGE when it comes to collecting and authenticating signautres, but also can make for a great story! Stories that start from as early as the 2000s and into modern day signing events! A lot of the background of these only passed on from buyer to buyer, seller to seller, collector to collector, rarely ever shared on a public platform!

So without further or do, I hope you enjoy the cards and the stories that come with each one!
(Bear with me as I try to make each post as high quality as possible!)
:smiley:

43 Likes

Yes! This is an awesome idea!!

1 Like

UTGP x Pokemon 2019 Third Place Plaque
This piece features a colored drawing and signature from Ken Sugimori, as well as a signature from Tsunekazu Ishihara.

Origin

In 2019 UNIQLO and The Pokemon Company teamed up to put on a T-shirt design contest. With submissions from over 40 countries, 25 contestants were selected to have their artwork featured as a part of a clothing line to be released that same year. From those 25, three were selected as the winners of the contest. Those three winners were flown out to Japan, where they had the chance to tour The Pokemon Company headquarters and meet both Tsunekazu Ishihara and Ken Sugimori! They also spent three days in Japan visiting the Pokémon Center, hanging out with staff and doing various other Pokémon themed activities. The prizes for winning this contest included a lump sum of cash, A three day trip to Japan, their design featured and sold worldwide, as well as a medal and custom plaque drawn on by Ken Sugimori. The drawing on each plaque is unique to each winner. They were emailed in advance, asking what their favorite Pokemon is. Once arriving and meeting Ken Sugimori, he did the colored drawing in person and on the spot. 1st place asked for a Pikachu, 2nd asked for a Mudkip and 3rd asked for a Cubone. Each Pokemon was drawn wearing the respective winners shirt design.

Unfortunately the weekend of the visit to Japan, the first place winner was disqualified for breaking contest TOS. It had come to the attention of TPCI that their design was not an original piece drawn for the contest. It was actually done previously and being sold on merchandise in China. Becasue of this they lost out on their contest prizes, one of which being a DLC for your character to wear their design in the Pokemon Sword/Shield Game. Their design ended up being pulled from the production line all together and the 1st place slot was left empty, with no one picked to fill it.

More infromation about the contest can be found here.
UTGP2019 | Pokémon© | UNIQLO

Swolepoke’s Acquisition

It was about three years ago when I first came across this piece and its origin. During that year I spent a lot of time, and I mean A LOT of time, scouring the internet trying to find whatever I could when it came to signatures. During one of my daily hunts, through one of my saved hashtags, I came across the Instagram page of the person who came in 3rd place, Emily. Being extremely curious about the contest, the winner and the prizes, I reached out and messaged them! The winner was extremely kind and personable. They were more than willing to share the details of the contest, their experiences and just answer any questions I had. It would take me a few weeks to build up the confidence to ask if there would ever be the possibility for me to take ownership of the plaque. Emily, being the polite person they are, declined at the time, but was not against me following up in the future and seeing if things changed.

To make a long story short, I would follow up once every six months on the dot. I would politely ask and be politely declined. Each time Emily letting me know I wasn’t a bother and that following up again wouldn’t be an issue. Bless her patience with me.

On one fateful day, three years after our first conversation, the stars must’ve aligned perfectly, because the time had finally come where I was given the oppertunity I had been waiting for. We quickly worked out a deal where both parties were happy with the transfer of ownership.The only issue being I would have to wait another six months before I would have it in hand. Personal issues arised for Emily and the deal would have to be postponed temporarily.

When the six months had passed, we reconnected, planned out a time and date for me to fly in and that was that! We sat down over coffee, chatted about our love of Pokemon, more on their experience with the contest, what it was like meeting Sugimori/Ishihara and much much more.

Wish I could say it was a walk in the park, or a lucky find getting this piece, but it took a heck of a lot of patience and time to get this into my collection. Never did I think I would own such a thing though, so for that I am forever grateful. :smiling_face_with_tear:

UTGPlogo

pokemonlogo

Emily, their partner and Pikachu posing for a photo at TPCI headquaters in Japan.

Fun Fact: Ken Sugimori drew the Cubone wearing the winners shirt design!

41 Likes

I knew you had this, but never knew how hard it was for you to get it. Well done!

3 Likes

This is such a cool story, @swolepoke! Thank you for sharing. :smiley:

And what a beautiful Cubone. :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Very nice to hear the full story behind this! Awesome thread

2 Likes

I’ll offer you $35 for it. The Ken Sugimori signature is sloppy and honestly most people don’t like Cubone, so I’ll take it off your hands. No need to thank me.

/s

Amazing piece.

3 Likes

Ok but where is the picture of you wearing the third place shirt while holding the plaque?

2 Likes

Tomoaki Imakuni Signed 1st Edition Base Set Porygon Pokemon Card
Imakuni’s iconic autograph on an equally iconic card.

Origin
This is the FIRST Pokemon card I was able to get signed by the artist, in person! The signing for this took place at the 2019 Pokemon World Championship, in DC! Funny enough, I bumped into Imkauni on the first day of the event. It didn’t even cross my mind to ask for an autograph, but instead I immediately asked for a photo! Before the photo was taken, he paused us, reached into his backpack, pulled out the signature black eared hat and did the pose you see in the photo below! :rofl: As luck would have it though, this would not be the last time I would see him.

During that weekend an Efour user, who will remain anonymous, was able to pull major strings and set up a exclusive signing for all the forum members with Imakuni! At the time getting cards signed wasn’t nearly as big a deal as it is today. So much so, dozens of people actually passed on the chance to meet him and get two cards signed. Only about 20 people were interested and ended up going. Shocking, I know. :skull:

Meeting Imakuni was amazing. He was exactly how you would picture him being. He was very outgoing, personable and extremely interactive with each of us. I remember handing him this card, him pointing at the stamp and with wide eyes exclaiming “1st Edition!”. When everyone had finished getting their cards signed, he kindly offered to take a group photo with us. This really put the memory in stone for me and cemented it as one of the best Pokemon events to date.

By far this card is the one in my collection I have the most sentimental value and memories for.
:face_holding_back_tears: :sparkling_heart:

Meeting Imakuni on Day 1!

Post Signing Group Photo!

33 Likes

Most accurate username

1 Like

So sick man. The greatest. And you couldn’t have picked a better card to preserve the memory within.

2 Likes

Hironobu Yoshida Signed Shining Mew Japanese CoroCoro Promo Pokemon Card
The artist behind half of the Neo Shining Pokemon cards, Masaki Gengar, Neo Genesis Lugia and much more.

Origin
In the last two decades, Hironobu Yoshida has had a total of three singing events in the US. All of which were done at the 2005, 2007 and 2014 Pokemon World Championships. Each year he would come with a new style and design for his autograph. This partical card was signed in 2007, which was held in Hawaii that year. At the event, Yoshida offered four different options when it came to sketches. The four options all being Deoxys, but in it’s different forms (Normal, Attack, Defense and Speed). For those of you who are unaware, Yoshida was the creator of Deoxys, as well as Wobbuffet, Dunsparce, Celebi, Rayquaza, Darkrai and Magmortar.

Swolepoke’s Accuqisition
All of the credit, and the only reason why this card was even presented to Yoshida in the first place, is thanks to a PokemonTCG player named Pablo Meza. Pablo was and is still one of the top ranked players in the TCG. In 2005, he took home 3rd place at the Pokemon World Champion and in 2017 was THE 1st place World Champion! Aside from those two huge achivements, he has consistanly been the top ranked player from Mexico since the early 2000’s.

Now as to the story on how I became the lucky owner of this card. Like previously mentioned, several years back I was a fiend on the interent trying to find any and all autographed cards. In 2020 I came across a tweet by Pablo. In that tweet he posted a photo of the Shining Mew asking if anyone knew who signed it, the only information he had about it was the year it was signed.

It turns out he traded for the Shining Mew at the World Championship and on the fly had it signed by Yoshida! How crazy is that? Especially with how difficult it was to acquire japanese products and cards back then, let alone in near mint condition! This tweet would open up a conversation between the two of us, where I had the chance to hear about all the World Championships he attended, the artist he was able to meet and all the experinces he had as a player! Ultimately we worked something out for the Shining Mew and I became the proud new owner of the card!

So many things blow my mind about this card. The first being I am somehow lucky enought to be the owner, the second being it’s a freaking SIGNED SHINING MEW and the last being that Pablo kept it in near perfect condition for the last 13 years! All of these things making me very grateful to have it and take none of it for granted!

26 Likes

Really awesome story and the signature looks so cool on the shining mew card. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Fun Fact: Not only is Hironobu Yoshida a talented character designer for Game Freak, he also portrayed the live-action version of the Poke Dude and is also featured in one of the coolest Japanese promo cards to exist:

Cheers!

9 Likes

2004 Pokemon World Championship Mewtwo Sketch

This piece features a color pencil sketch and autograph, on an 8" x 11" sheet of paper,
from Mitsuhiro Arita.

Origin
The Pokémon Trading Card Game 2004 World Championships was held at the Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida in the United States from August 20 to 22, 2004. The event was the first World Championships event hosted by Play! Pokémon.

As part of the side events, the 2004 Pokemon World Championship would also host an artist signing, consisting of Ken Sugimori, Mitsuhiro Arita, Midori Harada and Takumi Akabane. The artist were split into groups of two. Two for the first day of the event and two for the second day. These signings were done in an hour to two hour window of time.

Swolepoke’s Acquisition
Earlier this year, while doing my daily internet hunting, I came across the account of a former competitor, named Chris! Chris had attended most, if not all, the world championships from 2004 to current day! This included all the early years that hosted artist we rarely get to see today!

What really caught my eye, was the Mewtwo skecth that Chris had done by Arita in 2004. As rare as these sketchs are, I had seen some others come out of the same event. Chris was able to inform me that these paeticular sketchs weren’t actually done during the signing event, but were in fact done on the last day, closer to when the event was finishing up!

At those early world championships, they would have an area with colored penicals and paper for kids and their parents to hang out, just to kill time. During those last few hours of the event, Arita and Harada were seen mingling in that area and were even doing full on sketches for anyone who asked! Talk about a dream! Any Pokemon, card art or merchandise, they would’ve sketched it for you!

The truly wild part of this story is that Chris told me as he was leaving the venue, that area where Arita and Harada had been, was filled with dozens of sketches left behind by children. He even grabbed a couple that were laying around on his way out! Obviously no one knew at the time what those sketchs would be worth, or even how rare they would be today, but it’s a crazy thing to imagine.

One last little fun fact about the event. Chris told me that Ken Sugimori wasn’t exactly the most pleasant guy at those early artist events. He told me he got the feeling Sugimori just wanted to do his hour signing block and then bounce. He also wasn’t willing to do any sketches supposedly for kids, like Arita and Harada were doing. :rofl:

Fun Fact
The Mewtwo sketch is based off one of Arita’s pieces that was used by the Pokemon Company on merchandise, such as binders, deck boxes, notepads, clear files, etc that were sold at the Pokemon Center.

28 Likes

What an incredible story and beautiful sketch! I love all of the information you’ve put into this thread, seeing the stories behind the cards is truly special!

3 Likes