Storing High $$$ Collections Safe/Safety Deposit Box ?

For sometime now I have wanted to store my high value cards in a secure location, perhaps outside of my home.

I did some research and did see that if you store items in a safe at the bank then the bank is not liable to any theft or lost items. Would that mean you would have to take out some kind of insurance?

A home safe only makes sense to protect against fire as I wouldn’t be able to get a large safe in my house, even if I could my wife would never let me.

I don’t feel too safe with a storage locker, plus there is the high expense of paying for it overtime, as I’m mainly collector and not much of a seller.

I also would like to take the "out of sight, out of mind approach with some items, so I don’t open them or sell them (it’s tempting with the recent price spike).

Would love to hear what others are doing to keep those high $$ collections safe!

I don’t normally go into this but here is the company I use. They are totally secure with iris entry and 24/7 armed guards. Unlike the banks nobody knows who owns a box so it can’t be found by the irs or police or courts.

www.the-american-guardian.com/faq.html

5 Likes

I made a post on this with great responses. Hope that can help ya www.elitefourum.com/t/storing-collectibles-at-a-safe-location-vs-insuring-them/26850/1

1 Like

I like the picture of the armed guards standing in the front of the monte lisa.

My home is secure enough for me to have peace of mind.

Thanks Gary!

Thank you for sharing the link. Some good information.

When thieves break into your home, they want to be out in 3 minutes. They hit the master bedroom, look for jewelry and get out. That’s 9 out of 10 times.

2 Likes

Absolutely true… all over the world.

Personally I use safe deposit boxes. Yes the bank is not liable, but it is literally a bank vault you’re storing your cards in! If you’re worried about loss risk due to fire or natural disaster I would set a value threshold in your head, and expand to multiple boxes once that value is reached. Personally I audit my collection once a year, and check on my cards every three months.

Personally I wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping my valuables in pretty much any store bought safe. I have a background in fabrication, I am confident that with minimal skills and a $60 battery powered angle grinder you can break into about any safe in well under 10 minutes.

This video is an advertisement for this particular safe maker, but filled with good information on safes: Youtube

Edit: Here are a couple more videos I found helpful on safes: Youtube Youtube

1 Like