stop letting people sell damaged cards as near mint

this isn’t my first time bringing it up, but I am so sick of this!
It’s gotten worse and worse over the past few months.

Literally EVERY CARD I buy on ebay labelled as “near mint” or “mint” or “PSA 10 QUALITY”
comes with some type of crazy damage that is not shown in the picture.
It’s making me not want to buy pokemon at all anymore.

It seems we have just adjusted to this as normal, and we let it slide / all do it ourselves.

I know a lot of us like myself have kept quiet about it in the review section of ebay.
I think we should all agree to not let this slide anymore, and immediately give bad reviews if there is hidden damage on ebay cards.

maybe we can change the raw card game for the better :grin:

Totally, if the statement doesn’t match the condition eBay will honor the return.

I’ve had this issue occasionally on TCG player but it’s always been rectified.

I’d ask for supplemental images, file a return or just buy graded cards.

1 Like

I think we all have to accept that when buying on eBay, unless the seller is clearly collector, that you need to take descriptions with a pinch of salt.

Don’t get me wrong, if a seller is taking pictures that obviously deceive a potential buyer in hiding damage, absolutely leave a negative review.

Personally I’ll take extra time on looking at the pictures, and I’ll ask for more if I see any suspect marks. Most sellers have been very accommodating and those that aren’t, I don’t buy their cards.

3 Likes

I’m guessing these are also items that you are buying for a bit of a discount? Sounds like a bit of a you-get-what-you-pay-for type of scenario

2 Likes

You need to learn quickly that you shouldn’t be buying a card without seeing all angles and a great deal of an idea of the true condition. Grading means absolutely nothing unless you know they are reputable and good. The only way to know that is heavy pokemon feedback or having bought from them before. Any deceiving photos listings should be ignored if they don’t provide extra. The incompetence on ebay far outweighs those who know what they are doing and do a good job.

I mean that’s the risk you run with buying raw. Recently I bought 4 cards from a new seller, all labeled mint with minimal pics for extreme discounts on what the PSA 9/10 prices are. 3/4 of them are actually mint and one of them is pretty much MP. Am I going to leave a negative review or open a case because of that one card? No. I knew what risk I was taking when I made those purchases

1 Like

I put all flaws in my listings and make sure to give every angle possible when selling a raw card. Full transparency goes a long way than rather deal with charge backs and unhappy people. Have never had a person argue with me about said condition since. Upfront disclosure may loose some value on the sale but in the long term has has prob saved me countless potential headaches…

2 Likes

I think the word NEW is the one that does my head in!
The amount of times someone lists a card as new and it looks like a dog has chewed it up and blatantly is not new!
Don’t get me wrong sometimes new cards have edgewear because of tins etc so that happens.
I know this is a given but never look at the title of a listing mint, near mint or new and automatically think you are getting a potentially PSA 10 card, judge for yourself then you’ve only got yourself blame!

It cuts both ways.

Some of the best deals I’ve gotten have been on cards with not so great pictures. At this point, I’m rolling the dice quickly if it’s a good deal. If they purposefully concealed damage, and I way overpaid. Ill file a return.

Luckily I haven’t had to return yet. I have been less than thrilled, but still feel like the price I’ve paid has been fair.

The last 3 times I’ve requested more pics, and they were clean, the card sold best offer or BIN the second the pics were posted lol.

Also. If I see a Pokémon card with pics on a white background, I usually pass. That’s the best way to conceal whitening on the back.

If this is a consistent problem I suggest you just stick to trusted Pokémon sellers or buy graded cards. I’ve never had problems buying from someone like TCA gaming and I’ve never once gotten a complaint about the condition of cards I’ve sold.

@scythe , May I introduce you to sports cards where almost every card is considered their “rookie card” in the title LOL

but yeah, buying raw to grade is always a gamble. If the person sells graded cards and they are selling you a raw card, they most likely know it won’t grade well :wink:

troll is doing this too hate him

This goes to the other way too where buyers expect cards described as “excellent” to be in perfect condition. Just had a buyer ask for a return for a cheap item because the card apparently had a tiny bit of whitening which wasn’t visible on photos, but I never described it as mint in the first place