Stolen Pokemon Card (Brewstew)

Well Brewstew made another great pokemon card video about our sweet childhoods…

On the topic, have you ever had a card stolen from you? Have you ever stolen a card?

I remember being in 3rd grade and being jealous because I had very few cards, so I thought about snagging some cards, but never did because I felt it was wrong. I did however claim my sisters cards for myself about 6 years ago… felt okay since we were in our 20’s LOL

5 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve had cards stolen from me when when I was younger and even when I was older, most cards are sentimental and I really despise people that would go out of their way to steal Pokemon cards from people at any age, someone taking anything from you makes you feel disrespected no matter how much value it has, now I’ve started buying graded cards and I’m a lot older I’m much more careful who I trust looking at my cards, looking forward to reading some of the story’s on this thread

The first video he made was pure gold. I remember watching it within days of getting back into collecting and I was in tears.

2 Likes

Back when I was 14, during my 3rd year of secondary school I had my MTG Prophecy Avatar of Might stolen from my desk at school. I never saw it again and I never knew who took it, but hey, kids will be kids I guess. Maybe the person later went into crime or saw the errors of his way and became a straight arrow. Who knows?

2 Likes

Pokemon was introduced back when I was in 5th grade. I remember opening my first pack on the bus and got a Dragonair as my first rare. I loved it so much since I was really into Dragons at the time. Some kid saw my cards and told me that Diamonds were more Rare than Stars. As a gullible card, I believed him, and traded my Dragonair for his Magmar. A friend of mine told me I got swindled but he helped me trade back with the kid at the end of the day. So, not quite stolen, but close enough. Never had anything like that before with Pokemon since.

Yugioh was a different story. There have been several times where kids would try to steal each other’s Yugioh cards or convince you a version was more rare than the others. It was one of the few things I hated back when I used to play as a kid. My friends had multiple cards stolen and one time someone tried to switch out a card in a friend’s binder but we caught them luckily.

1 Like

I had a Bakugan stolen when I was around 8. I never had any pokemon cards stolen from me. I’m shocked by that because I brought cards to school all the time in 3rd grade and 5th grade.

When we were younger me and my younger brother used to share our collection and we actually lost most of it to a sort of theft. When I left the school we both used to go to I lost interest so my brother would take the cards to school with him almost every day despite the fact that they were banned (who’s school didn’t have these things banned for a period of time?) from being taken in. One lunch time one of the lunch supervisors saw my brother with the cards and “confiscated” them saying he could have them back at the end of the term which is already a ridiculously long time to get them back if we was going to. So we get to the end of the term and he is asking this lady to return the cards but rather than leaving them at the school she had for some reason taken them home and kept “forgetting” them. She never returned them and me and my brother are certain she gave them to her kid who also went to school in his year. RIP our crystal lugia, base blastoise and many many more, gone but not forgotten haha.

7 Likes

Wow that’s messed up! Did your parents ever do anything?

Not a card but I did have a #94 X-Men comic and a Mint #24 Mad Magazine turn up forever missing. This really hurt:(

I think I only had one card ever stolen from me, which was a Base Set unl. Pidgeotto, which I acquired a few years later again in a random collection our grandparents bought for me and my little brother at a secondhand market. I also knew who stole it later on. It went missing after a neighboring girl was visiting and we were playing with our cards in my room. At first I thought I’d simply misplaced it, or it went under my closet or something along those lines. But a few weeks later we were playing with our marbles, and I noticed that a special colored blue one I really liked was missing from my marble box, and coincidentally and miraculously was in her marble box… :unamused: Little 8 or 9 y.o. thief, haha. :wink: We didn’t hang out a lot together after that anymore tbh.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

No we never got them back. It was my brothers last year at the school and we just never did anything about it as we knew we wouldnt get them back either way.

Around the age of like 11 or 12 one of my best friends at the time wanted to borrow my binder, so I let him, no big deal. His parents wouldnt buy them pokemon cards, so he didnt get to see them too often. What him and his brothers got all came from trading at school or from kids in town.

So it made sense for him to want to borrow my binder so he could marvel at the goods within, I had several pages of holos! I was so proud of my pages of holos haha. Anyway, days later when I got the binder back several holos were missing… I asked him about it and he said it must have been his little brother (and it honestly probably was). His little brother sucked, and still kinda does to this day.

I didnt want to be involved in a he said she said finger pointing mom on phone with other mom replace my sons cards match so I just let it go, I never even told my mom or dad. I’d sure love to know now what cards he took haha.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever had any cards stolen back in my childhood. Seems like I had good friends or all my cards were such slaves that nobody cared :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: When I started to have better cards most of my friends didn’t care about Pokemon anymore and those who did would never steal from me.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s considered stealing or not, but I’ve had a lot of cards taken from me during school hours.

Used to invite my neighborhood friend over and we would trade, look at and play in my basement. The kid was spoiled and could never do wrong (his parents let EVERYTHING slide), he would try to steal from me constantly. I would go upstairs to get us juice or whatever, come back down and my binder has an empty slot. He wasn’t very bright, but I always would get my cards back. I remember missing a dark raichu 1st edition, and magically he had one. He gave it back saying, “I mean, its not YOUR card, but you can have it”. It was just us, in my basement, I know it was mine.

5 Likes

Most of this thread comes down to bad parenting. Even if you’re poor you can teach your kids values.

Looking back I remember getting ripped off on trades with the older “cool” kids I wanted to be friends with at the Pokémon league (early 2000’s). I traded my base venusaur for a porygon because the older kid said it was a good deal lol. My dad said no more trading after he found out lol.

Also, when I received my childhood holo binder this Christmas (was lost for 8 years), it was missing a couple LC reverse holos I remember having. I can’t say they were stolen for sure, but I don’t recall trading them.

My cousins brought there Pokémon binders to school (early 2000’s) and they were stolen from their lockers. They left the hobby and never returned after this unfortunately.

1 Like

I did remember some lost cards. I was missing 5 Bday Pikachu cards in sticker packs. A couple years later when I moved, I found them in a pull out couch. Somehow they slipped behind. The bad thing is they had dropped in value about half:(

1 Like

I feel we all probably have been in this spot once before, and if not thats awesome! Ive had two instances with theft in my time of collecting, one as a kid when I was around 8-9 and one as a young adult (couple of years back). The first time was this bully in my school who got into collecting just as all the kids ended up doing on the playground at recess. I went home one day to discover that my Neo Genesis Kingdra I had was gone (I had doubles and knew he was the last I let see my cards so I pinned it on him) and the next day before classes began I asked to see his cards and sure enough it was right there in his stack (he didnt have a binder at the time). I snatched it back and said it was mine and he just smirked and walked away, but that moment was defining for me as it was the first time I ever stood up to a bully in my life. Since then, Ive always been outspoken and very upfront in my ways against that sort of behavior, and id like to think im a better person today from that and other life lessons learned haha.
The second instance I occurred was as an adult, but it was more of a loss than theft per say. When i reached high school, i fell to the likes of addiction and mental health issues due to a rough childhood (the specific addiction is hard to be upfront with what it was to, as its still a bit embarrassing to me, so ill let it remain nameless) and in that I went to many treatment centers across the US to get help, which landed me in a desperate situation where I left one of them in Colorado to move in with a friend that I met in one of my many tries at rehabilitation (was one of the worst decisions Ive made to date). In going there, we were each toxic for each other to the point where I had to get out, and i made the choice to go to another treatment place while leaving my belongings behind. My friend became angry that I went to get help (as I was an enabler for them while they were for myself) and took my things and refused to send them back to me, which included every pokemon card i had sentimental attachment to including my first ever zard and a 1st edition zard my best friend whom took his own life years earlier gave to me for free, just because he stopped collecting. I was so upset at the time, but so blinded by my illnesses that I didnt fight the loss, i just got worse in where I was. Years down the road (when I reached steady recovery which ive been in for a while now) I contacted my friend to see how they were, make some amends and ask if they still had anything of mine, and sadly they gave my things up for donation. I didnt press more to ask in detail, (as i soon realized that she was still very well in her own addiction still) but its a loss ive been mourning ever since and it still hurts to this day. One things for sure though in that all which is cards are cards and can hold such sentimental value (which mine definitely did), but my life was more important at that time and im so glad that im still here to tell this tale today. One day ill replace the zard, and replace a lot of my favs (which I already began to do months ago when i rehashed my old collecting self), but im just grateful that I can do this, because i have known many good friends over the years who are now not able to have that same luxury due to what they had fallen to.

PS: im sorry this was so long lol, i just felt this was a great opportunity to share =). And also I loved this video and especially the first one that user made which was hysterical

2 Likes

My friends and I started up the pokemon trading community at our school

It got so big that teachers eventually just banned pokemon cards. Funny enough, we had these type of desks : gyazo.com/37a9fbb6b8b33660bb7b3ff8cc399f04 so we still got to sneak around and trade cards during class(this was around 3rd grade)

Everything was pretty tame and then one day, this kid flushed my best friend’s gold star mew down the toilet. I went to a small school at the time(class of like 25) and this kid was trying to be the bully of our class(idk why because we played sports with him and invited him to everything since we were a tight community) even though all the guys in our class were friends so he ended up getting the shit kicked out of him for that lol

Personally I never had any cards stolen other than a mesprit lv x that my friend gave to me. As soon as I came back to the hobby I hunted down a PSA 10 copy of it and sent it to my friend who originally gave me the mesprit because we were cheesed at the time but it’s all jokes now :blush:

2 Likes