Southern Islands Trading Company's Collection

Hey everybody, thought I should finally get around to starting my collection thread! Things are in a little disarray right now as lots of cards have been pulled out to grade, but pretty much everything I’m posting here I pulled in the early years. I’ve done a little bit of modern but more so just to dip my toe in and see what things were looking like at that end of the pool. My big project right now is sorting out what I have and reorganizing/deciding if and/or when to grade the heavy duty stuff as it’s been pretty much sitting raw all these years.

I’ll kick this off with my vending set since I finally got those into a binder today :confetti_ball: It’s no secret that this art is nutso, but these really are some of my favorite cards. The gaps in the binder are cards I need to replace, and I don’t believe I ever had possession of the Series 00, so I need to fix that soon… The Golem and Omastar Masaki cards are in storage so I’ll get those up here when I snag them.

Let me know your thoughts, can’t wait to get more involved around here and get to know all of you!

22 Likes

Part 2 of the vending collection:

Just got the Alakazam back from PSA, pretty pleased with an 8 considering the centering :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Beautiful collection. I love seeing cards together in their folders. It just looks so visually beautiful.

2 Likes

Honestly some of the best variety of art styles from any set. Love the showcase!

2 Likes

Graet start to the collection thread! Can’t go wrong with vending. It’s not on my main collection list at the moment, but I’ve picked up some cards here and there. Hope to tackle and finish it sometime in the future!

Can’t wait to see more of what you have in store!

2 Likes

That Imakuni page does it for me! :heart_on_fire: awesome collection

2 Likes

Super awesome binder. These vending cards look so great displayed like this. Vending Porygon is my absolute favorite card from the set. It just looks like a movie promotion. Thanks a lot for sharing and looking forward to seeing more.

P.S. Lowkey expected Southern Island set to be your first collection post though!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Don’t worry, that’s next :slight_smile:

Also, agreed on Porygon, this set has my favorite art of so many different species. Like I’m not even a big Venomoth fan but this one is beautiful!

Since @mrbubbles brought it up, this seems like a fitting next installment :sweat_smile:

I am not on @smpratte’s level as far as the Southern Islands go, but these are my 2 childhood SI binders and accompanying sealed Japanese product -

12 Likes

While I’m at it and since they are stored together, I recently moved all these Neo file sets back into their folders from the binders I had them in. I like looking at them the way they were created :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Respect for vintage :saluting_face:

What do you think of Quick Starter Gift Set holo exclusives?
I always assume that vending collectors have to have them, but that’s just on me.
Maybe you prefer having them all glossy?

1 Like

I’m not against including them, but at least for this binder, as long as I have the art represented, I’m happy. Plus the glossy vs matte doesn’t bug me. I’d definitely like to own them at some point!

1 Like

I finally found my original Burger King cards, and am proud of my young self for keeping them in pretty good shape, save for a few minor casualties (Pidgeot…). I’m sure I ingested many chicken tenders in my quest for all 151. I have tons of extra bulk as well, but am still missing a few either due to damage or just being gone. I have some of the cards that would have come on the sheet with the missing ones, but either time or ranch dressing seem to have claimed those poor souls. I realize even uncut sheets are inexpensive, but I just have a lot of love for this set, especially since it coincided with the movie release. I’m also still trying to figure out the best binder to display them in, I feel like it needs some pizzazz.
I still need:

Nidoqueen
Golbat
Paras
Meowth
Persian
Kadabra
Magneton
Gastly
Haunter
Tangela
Horsea
Mr. Mime
Electabuzz
Dragonite

4 Likes

Now for something even more nostalgic, this price guide captures some real gems. I love these ones that are more comprehensive and cover toys, the lenticular cards, etc.

Lady-ba.

8 Likes