Bing Bong’s Collection thread

I’ve been umm-ing and ahhh-ing about posting a collection thread for a few weeks, as truth be told my collection journey has just begun and admiring some of the collections of other members, I feel as if I’m yet to earn the right to be called a collector.

We all started somewhere though and having the ability to look back at a starting point I’m sure will bring me much pride as the years pass.

My journey began with slabs and an intention to flip for some extra cash. My current gross sales equate to 75rmb ($10) for a card I mistakenly bought for 200rmb ($25) from Pokecolor and told them to re-auction. Flippoooor badge unlocked.

Fortunately while I may be prone to lapses in brain power, the slabs I do own, I’m very happy to have.

SLABS
Some Vending Series cards I picked up as some of my first purchases

My first paired purchase and some of my favorite artwork

If I’m ever going to set collect, it will be Expedition. Alakazam may be my favorite card of the set.

Likely the cutest card I’ll ever own

Blastoise was always my favorite of the big 3

My first grail card! Looking forward to completing this with the unlimited holo and 1st edition non holo

The biggest surprise for me has been how immensely enjoyable binders are. I never “collected” as a kid, although was 5-6yo when base set was released in Australia and like most kids, spent my recesses and lunch breaks trading cards for cans of coke and sour worms. Similar to my flipping ability, I did not come out in front on those trades.

Currently my first binder consists of cards I love the aesthetics of. Everyday I see new cards I want, however have set goals for this year, so am attempting some restraint on raw cards until I find my path with binders and what it is I want to pursue. Restraint is currently defined as only buying 5 or so cards a week…

The majority of the vintage cards were purchased as a collection. As time passes I’ll look to upgrade all holos to NM-MINT.

Binder

My main goal is to complete this full page as this is my favorite card of all, and Dragonite my favorite Pokemon.

Finally I have begun collection some sealed products (The Southern Islands isn’t really sealed) as a kind of investment and as something for my daughter so there’s always packs for us to open.

SEALED

I’m sincerely grateful to everyone in this community for being kind, welcoming and helpful and appreciate the time you’ve spent looking through this post.

I very much look forward to continuing on this journey and having the community of E4 playing a role in my collecting and life in general.

26 Likes

Beautiful collection. Thanks for sharing. I love binders as well because it’s fun to see them all side by side.

The number of cards isn’t relevant to if you are a collector or not. It’s the passion you have for finding and organising your cards and that feeling of always wanting that next card for your collection. Welcome to the collecting club!

3 Likes

Oh and bonus points for one of you cards being a Dark Charmeleon. That’s my favourite card and one of the greatest Pokemon artworks of all time.

2 Likes

Appreciate the kind words. Couldn’t agree more on the Charmeleon!

3 Likes

Great looking cards! I’m a sucker for the McDonalds holos, that Charmander is an awesome card in my opinion.

Also, don’t be too hard on yourself, it’s intimidating when you start sizing up your own collection in comparison to some others posted here. You have to remember some people have been collecting for decades and are at a completely different point in their own collecting journey. You just happen to find yourself more toward the beginning. You have a great collection started and we all look forward to seeing where you go from here :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing with us!

3 Likes

Thank you mate. I didn’t know the charmander existed and as soon as I saw the card I bought it. Best charmander card by a mile imo. Weirdly I don’t vibe with the Squirtle from the McDonald’s promo so much, even though Squirtle was my preferred starter.

Look forward to the years ahead in the hobby, sharing with and learning from everyone on E4.

1 Like

Fantastic picks!!
That Espeon artwork has to be one of the best in the hobby.
Looking forward to seeing future updates!

3 Likes

Great first collection post. I really love your binder assortments. Being a binder guy myself, I really like the custom themes on each Binder page and the flexibility it grants you. Looking forward to more of your updates. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Maybe as I become more knowledgeable and if I decide to move towards set collecting they will be moved about, but a current goal for the binders is to complete a page of each type. Something about matching colours is very appealing, as well as giving me the ability to find the art of each type that appeals most.

Appreciate the support :pray:

1 Like

6 more raw copies to complete my first full single card binder page. The mantle in the gym has a new display which will hold its place for the foreseeable future!

Seems photography is a new skill I’ll need to unlock. Nothing beats the in person view though.

14 Likes

Congratulations on the new acquisition! The display also looks super sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you, mate.

It feels like the next 6 raw copies will take a while to get, however I’m looking forward to hunting them down with patience.

I love it! One of my favorite cards.

Will you be going for light dragonite too?

I want to get this card in unlimited holo and 1st edition non holo first so it really feels completed. Light Dragonite will definitely be added to the binder at some point, and I’m leaning towards collecting Dragonite in PSA 10 along with raw copies but that’s probably a task for next year.

Still have a few goal cards for 2024 to get first.

1 Like

The slab collection is looking good, but the binder is great to look through too—tons of great-looking vintage cards! Would love to see the Dark Dragonite binder page once complete :slightly_smiling_face: (It’ll be very shiny!)

2 Likes

I can’t lie, I’ve been holding the Dark Dragonite with puppy dog eyes quite a bit, however, the binder brings me so much more joy than slabs.

Trying to get NM copies for the next 6 Dragonites so may take a while but will be beautiful once complete!

3 Likes

Japanese Promo Collector badge unlocked.

8 Likes