Some questions about Buyee

Edit: Solved, in short:

• Is the bidding limit really 900,000 yen? Yes.

• The initial bid limit is 300,000 yen, you can increase it to 900,000 yen but they review the request first which takes time so you might miss out on an auction that’s close to finished

• There are some red error messages popping up, it seems Buyee has some restrictions for bidding, i.e. you can’t bid on some people’s auctions period due to bad feedback of the seller, you can’t bid on items if the bid exceeds 900,000 yen, and you might not be able to bid on some items right after registering an account because they want to verify if you’re the real deal first

Yes the maximum is really 900.000 yen and I think for newly registered members it is 300.000 yen. I never had an issue with this though, so I dont know how long it would take to let it go to 900.000 yen.

There are a lot of red messages I have seen browsing on buyee but the last I have never seen, this might also be because it is a new account.

I dont have experience using other middle man services, but I think they might have higher maximum bids. Like noppin or zenmarket.

1 Like

@thymeee,I see, that would only leave zenmarket because noppin is currently closed.

@ripguyfawkes I never used buyee before but I can totally recommend zenmarket, that´s the site I use. I never had any issue with them, you just have to deposit the entire amount before you can bid/purchase. I did not buy anything over 10k though so I´m not sure if there are further restrictions when it comes to high value purchases.

1 Like

@shadowless, thanks a lot for the answer! I’m currently looking into zenmarket and it seems very convenient. Guess I’ll keep both buyee and zenmarket in mind

1 Like

It really is very convenient imo, once your order arrives at their warehouse, you can ask them to take additional fotos for a very small fee (like a few $) to check the items condition - they also store your items for a longer period of time in case you want to combine something or wait for a specific occasion to ship. You can also ask them to make your parcel (almost) bombproof for 5$ or so.

1 Like

Yes, the bidding limit is 900k yen. This can’t be increased, at least to the best of my knowledge. I’d assume they have lower bidding limits until you develop at least a short track record with them, creating a new account and bidding on high-value items definitely seems like a red flag that an automated system would catch. I wouldn’t know about this as I’ve never bid on anything above 300k yen though, lol.

I’d think the other messages were from your account being restricted as they reviewed. May be useful to put in an order or two on cheap items just to show them you’re for real.

The king of high-value Japan purchasing is an actual middle man who can do the whole 9 yards for you with little restriction. But this is pretty difficult to secure. Using a different service like Zenmarket may be a good idea.

1 Like

@fourthstartcg, thanks, and yeah a middleman would be ideal but not feasible for most of us. I’ve summarized the answers in the top comment, post can be closed