Smooth Finish Fossil Holofoils

Hi,

My first post is a question I couldn’t find already addressed. It may be my bad search skills, or my lack of an appropriate keyword.

I was going through my old Fossil sets. I have found a couple of foils (Ditto and Haunter, but I may have more) that appear to have been produced without the standard foil. Instead of the starry sparkles (or the Japanese version of the starry sparkles) the foil is completely smooth. Was this a “typical” error? To the extent that anyone has collected a set of them? Any info, or keywords that can get me to prior threads on the subject, would be greatly appreciated.

Hank

Sounds like a fake, post some pics maybe?

This is a known “error”. A while back I believe some people were even paying a premium for them. Not sure about current market, however.

I read ‘Finnish’ and thought omg some rare cards x)

3 Likes

Known error to have no holo pattern? I’ve seen the different holo patterns, I have never heard of this…

1 Like

about 4:50 in.

There are varying levels of this “error” as I have had some fossil holo’s where I could only see one little holo star.

Thanks for the video. My Fossil holos look just like the Hitmonlee, and mine are 1st edition as well. I know they aren’t counterfeit, as I got virtually all my Fossil packs from the same authorized source immediately after they were released. I’ll go through all my Fossil cards after the holidays and see if I have others.

This is part of my new task, figuring out what was discovered since I dropped out of Pokemon. For English cards I only have Base, Jungle and Fossil, although I have 1st edition and unlimited (and shadowless for Base). Base set IV was not a thing, although I doubt I have any, since virtually all my cards were from the Mid-Atlantic region. Many of the key errors in Base, Jungle and Fossil were already known. I’ll be trying to figure out what additional errors and variations I should be looking for as I go back through the cards I have.

I have a Base Set Mewtwo like this. Kinda less appealing imo.

I was hoping you were talking about this, because I’ve been trying to figure out why I find cards like this… One card has the typical WoTC grainy paper and the other (lighter) is relatively smooth. Yup they are both real.

1 Like

Looks like you could have a 1999-2000 card