Fossil Set White Line Holo Errors

White Line Holos / Missing Holo Edge/ Misaligned Holo-foil Layer

This error occurred on holo sheets of Fossil 1st edition and unlimited. A few examples have also been found on Base unlimited and one German 1st edition Venusaur, but in this article I’m going to focus on Fossil set since there are a significant amount of examples that have surfaced over the last few years.

The left edge of the cards are basically missing the holofoil layer which you can easily see under magnification. I put closeups at the bottom. The numerous examples found are only the cards at the leftmost column of the sheet which confirms what is going on. The error could have occurred from one of two reasons: Either the cards were printed too far to the left on the sheet or the holofoil was glued onto the paper too far to the right by the foil stock manufacturer. The white vertical lines of insufficient ink are due to the blanket cylinders rolling over the foil edge. The slight thickness of the foil layer causes the blankets to lift just enough to miss the sheet to the left of the foil edge. According to the variation in positions of these insufficient vertical ink lines, we can safely estimate this happened to at least 3 or more sheets of 1st edition and 3 or more sheets of unlimited. This will all make sense when you see the pictures. Enjoy!

Dragonite 1st ed

Closeup Photos:

16 Likes

Thanks for your work. Do you happen to have a link to the German Venusaur?

1 Like

Neat! Thanks for documenting this. I wasn’t aware of this error :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No problem glad you enjoyed. I dug up the post for it.

3 Likes