Sketchy Weird High-ish feedback Scammer on eBay…?

So I probably should know better by now and I’m sure others have seen this. There’s a seller on eBay - “avoneverywhere” joined in 2006 with 3207 feedback that have some high end and low end pokemon/magic items listed for auctions but essentially only use eBay to advertise a buy it now price in the description. Obviously that’s flag number one. Link to profile: Avon Everywhere | eBay Stores

At least a good handful of their listings appear legit-ish, about 20% off recent sold or current listings. But then there are obvious fraud listings like @smpratte’s illustrator they have listed:

I assume when you email them, they fill your inbox with spam or try and scam you. What I’m wondering is how does this seller still have an account? Unless they just started doing this very recently and eBay hasn’t caught on yet which I doubt. I’ve seen this before way back. Maybe selling make-up in the UK
which seems how they’ve built their false-credibility in feedback plays a role? Has anyone else had experience with this “seller” or similar? Scott’s illustrator can’t be the only example but that one is blatantly fraudulent, you think eBay would ding them.

My 2 cents would be hacked/sold account.
Try to get as much scam money in before the account is closed.
Hope for some unaware buyers who don’t see the red flags and hope they get a steal of a lifetime by buying an Illustrator for absurdly cheap.

6 Likes

Yea I’ve seen this before, looks like a hacked account unfortunately

3 Likes

Yeah strange. Not all are absurdly cheap though. There’s a bunch of ones like this where the price isn’t that bizarre. Like this one I picked out random which is about 20-30% highest BIN.

I could easily some people falling for this thinking - okay so they’re trying to offer a deal and doing it outside of eBay like IG which people often do and can go cheaper without eBay fees.

That makes sense. Someone hacks trustworthy seller and basically lists all this crap putting their scam email in the descriptions. Thanks E4! Good to know.

1 Like

It’s an account that continuously floods the same high end cards and changes their name and profile picture almost weekly

I think the way this fraud works is:

1. scrape expensive pokemon listings
  2. identify a high feedback account that has been compromised - make sure you don’t reuse the same email/password combination across websites!
  3. log into account, remove any listings, automatically insert pokemon listings
  4. redirect people off ebay, ask for f&f or bitcoin or some other non-refundable methods of payment
  5. profit
4 Likes

Follow these 5 EASY steps to make money. !!!EBAY DOES NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW HOW THIS TRICK WORKS!!!
Add open mouth thumbnail.

Guaranteed succes on YouTube.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve seen this exact scam dozens of times just within the past year. I’ve successfully shut some of them down by talking to a person at eBay.

Unfortunately a super common scam. Clogs up my saved searches. @pfm hit it on the head, they are just trying to get you off ebay to pay with a non-refundable payment.

2 Likes

TO piggy-back, password-stuffing is robust and quick enough now that you should never use the same password twice.
Period.
Combinations to the wind, always change-up with complex pwds and/or use a vault. Definitely not LastPass… :face_with_peeking_eye:

Update: I emailed like I was going to buy something to see how they carried out the scam and this is what I got:

The hyperlink in the email directs to a tinyurl link and arrives at:

https://ebay.com-itm-27545747epid-24052574240-hash-item4022e3b-o40abjh2g4.com/56ba/1999-pokemon-game-blastoise-2-trainer-deck-b-psa-10-gem-mint-super-rare-tcg-stock-number-w33c285/2ec149

The hyperlink if you were to copy and paste in an address bar is non existent of course.

These goons can spend all this time creating a fake eBay page but can’t just get a job and be a decent human being? Haha

4 Likes

Some of these people live in countries where $100 is 3 months wages. So to scam even $1000 is big money.

Nice research looking into this more but you may want to edit the link so no one clicks through to the scam site just in case there are other security vulnerabilities associated to it!

2 Likes