Should we really be worried about the "print creep"?

So I'm outside unwinding and relaxing from the stress that is work and the bombing that is the value of 1st Ed. Imp Oak PSA 10, smoking my favorite cigar and decide to watch a video of the fears of Nintendo and whether they'll reach back into the proverbial Santa's Sack and reprint another set thus "drying" up the middle man, and yes I'm not going to drop the ball on who I was watching-- I'll leave that to speculation, but I digress; to me, as someone that played a little bit of the competitive side of PTCG I noticed one thing and one thing only from RS, I still don't what the hell Nintendo was doing with PC, that could only justify that reprint, Shaymin. That little bastard was in every deck of every top 8 of every state, both in Standard and Expanded and as demand grew supply became limited, and from what I saw nothing, in playability had come to light in years, and to me that's the reason for the reprint, was a giving back to the consumers, because God knows Nintendo doesn't need anymore money, and the only thing that comes to mind that is of that caliber of both playability and price is Tapu Lele GX. Coming back full circle, do you think this is something that we as both a consumer and collector should worry about?

I think the short answer from a collectors position, most collectors are not as excited about S&M as XY. One of the biggest misconceptions of people frustrated with saturation is that they are ā€œgreedyā€. When in reality, the reason why Charizard has its allure is because it was not easily attainable. You need a healthy challenge. If everything comes too easy, there is no incentive to try or improve. This isnā€™t unique to collectibles, its true in almost every aspect of life.

The fact that product is always available, at the lowest prices ever, provides little to no challenge. Coupled with the looming potential of sets will be printed for 3-5 years, and/or retroactively re-printed deters everyone but players. This reality doesnā€™t create a competitive environment for collectors. I still collect the chase cards for newer sets, but my strategy and mentality is so much more lax compared to the XY or BW era.

Basically everything new is for players, and thatā€™s ok. However, if Nintendo had a collectors insight, they could better cater to both audiences.

3 Likes

Everytime i hear the word ā€˜print creepā€™ i immediately think of thisā€¦ ::::

The only creep iā€™m scared of.

But in serious, Scott makes a great video, and raises some interesting points. Very intense stuff.

3 Likes

Simple answer, dont buy into the newer stuff to make money or expect a nice return.Buy to play,complete a set or maybe get a few nice ones graded.Buying into them to make B0NK med to long term is a mistakeā€¦
Buy old schoolā€¦and pre the re print insanity.Or better yet wotc era.

That was my biggest mistake, however it got me into the hobby again(buying new booster boxes, cracking, new products etc)
I changed the way I thought and bought due to sitting backā€¦thinking about it, and using the forum, and watching Yt. I regret not buying certain items and getting loads new stuff before changing my direction, but meh thats the fun of Hindsight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Im not talking going back in time to buy base, gstars etc hah but when i got back into the hobbyā€¦End of 2014 to end of 2015 ish) Its a lesson, and it has helped me mould what i want from the hobby, why? and how to go forward.

1 Like

Post Roaring skies, expect insaneeeeeee prints for the playersā€¦collectors wise just dont buy into the sets.They arent made to be valuable and an investmentā€¦they are for players mainly,hence the RSkies reprints for more shaymins. There are plenty of niche releases in Japanese and English to pick up, but even then they arent going to be amazing investments imo(there will be exceptions ofc!)

If pre roaring skies sets are re printed, then we are all doomed :stuck_out_tongue: Just like on RS3 if OS rares are re released then the game will just collapse!

NOBODY IS SAFE FROM RE-RELEASES,RE PRINTS AND COMPANIES GOING BACK ON THEIR WORD!
STICK TO OLDDDDD STUFF!!

Yeah When i was still scrubstonā€¦ I learnt quik how shit new japanese product was.

I was buying boosters to open for fun ect.

But english is way funner cause you get way more cards, but also the layout of how you pull the cards. its just not the same with

japanese as there are 5 cards per pack which sucked balls.

I open enlgish for the thrill and fun.

but opening that japanese and grading it was a dead end in those scrub days. but was a very valueble lesson.

tiz important to go through these tingz and will help you grow into an extremely powerful entity of destructive power and strength.

Yea hah! I opened alot of english booster boxes and put in my nice ultra pro folders, opened tins, collection boxes etc! it was nice being back :grin: I came back around Ffire and ff time. So I opened mega charizard collection boxes,Pyroar, krook+ancient power the Pikachu collection box(Hoopa was the other) Even though i said ill leave them sealedā€¦I got the opening blues and cracked them :confused: whoops!

This was early on when i got back into Pokemon TCG. I just wont open stuff If its been sectioned in the box asā€¦DONT YOU BLOODY DARE OPENā€¦NOPEā€¦LOOK OPEN THIS S+M PACK.

I have a bunch of more recent things sealed, but going forward if and when i buy to ā€œinvestā€ or keep hold ofā€¦it wont be new sets. Old graded cards, or old sealed if i can afford :stuck_out_tongue: The new sets will purely be to put in my folder as a collection to look at the cards and artā€¦not for invetments and not to expect a return. Just pretty cards in my folderā€¦and maybe send the nicer ones to PSA.
I have a nice list of items I want to get, if i can ever! these are specific older items of which are awesome cardsā€¦and should be good solid investmentsā€¦along with having a high nostalgic feel and I like them aswell.

Hope the above makes sense :grin: it is 2am and i havent really posted much n here for the past few months(havent been able to buy anythingā€¦loads going on so didnt want to go on here or ebay haha! though im still not surfing ebay)

1 Like

Yea I feel like such a dick posting that in regards to how important nostalgia is and collections. Unfortunately the market and in general people will not care about our feelings so competitive work and effort are the only way to victory so I had to lay the 2 cents down. :sunglasses::sweat_drops:

One thing Iā€™ll say isā€¦ if you are going to continue putting your faith in the mass Printed new stuffā€¦ ide definitely for both fun and ā€œinvestment valueā€ purposes stick with English when it comes to the newer stuff :new_moon_with_face: