Should I PSA base cards?

Alot of people only sell rare or promo cards in psa grading. You don’t see a caterpie from the base set at psa 10 on ebay lol but someone must want them. I bought a load of stock and instead of selling them now (which failed due to a saturated market), i’m going to store them and invest in them. Later i’ll get them graded and I was wondering, is it worth sending base cards off to be graded?

Like I have a load of common burning shadow cards, will they be worth something in 5 years time or is it only holos and rares which tend to be worth the psa grading?

Are you wanting to profit from this or for your own collection? If it’s for your own collection grade whatever you want. If it’s to try turn a profit I would stay away from newer commons.

7 Likes

For profit overtime, so when people invest to make a profit on cards later they buy booster boxes and discard all but the ultra rare cards?

The market for graded non-holo sets outside of WOTC products is extremely minimal, and even within WOTC product the demand for PSA 10 graded Unc/Com cards is a select group, of course with 1st edition base being much larger.

Have you tried selling the com/uncom/rares as sets…?

That’s a good idea. I’m just trying to think of the best way to get rid of the commons/uncommons/rares as I have alot of them brand new. I bought them as a joblot. I could just sell them on as a joblot again but it seems like a shame.

Perhaps I should try and collect all commons, all uncommons and all rares and sell them as separate sets, like “All burning shadows commons set” or “all burning shadows rev holo commons” all in plastic wallets/toploaders. Then if someone wants to collect a set quick, it’s already done. It’s not likely i’d get all of them in the set and sell them as every card in that set, since im still collecting the ex cards myself.

It’s worth a shot :relaxed::+1:

1 Like

Well, the good news is, I have every common card + duplicates.

I’ll make an ebay listing of all the burning shadows commons as a set, in nice looking plastic wallets and toploaders and see if people buy them haha. People will pay for convenience hopefully lol

What do you think the price point should be? At this point i’m willing to take a loss on how much I spent for everything + fees/postage equipment.

All the common cards = 42 (i included the 3 energy cards in the set) and most people are selling them for 99p individually. 42 x 99p = £41.58. So should i like £24.99? I guess I should ask myself, would I pay for that. I don’t think I would, £19.99 perhaps tops.

I think even $10 would be too much. lol Your 42 cards are worth like $2. Convenience yes, but not at 15x value. lol

link

1 Like

Oh ffs lol someone has always beaten everyone to it. Here I was thinking I was the first to think of this, and jesus christ $10, with p & p that’s like £10. £10 it is!

Haha. These listings are very common, there’s guys selling full common or full c/u or full c/u/r or… the full set. :blush:

It’s a convenience on older sets where packs cost $20-50, but in this case there’s plenty of dirt cheap sealed product out there so there’s not much of a point to pay extra, especially for commons.

Kill me now, it’s at £4.40

link

Well damn… Being in Canada I couldn’t see that one. Good luck ray.

1 Like

Maybe I should hold off a few years when they’re out of print then? It’s bad they’re over saturated because they reprint cards like crazy nowadays but at the same time, they move onto new sets so quickly because of this, each set gets older faster than they used to. It’s good and bad. Perhaps I need only wait 3 years.

I don’t think you understand… There are several millions of these cards out there. Commons are never going to be valuable. As I said last night, they’re worth less than $0.05 each. I don’t know how much you paid but hopefully there was more than just a bunch of new commons in that lot.

Cards printed in 2017 will not gain any value earlier than 2025. This because the cards will be play legal till 2019 in Extended format. Various cards, especially trainers, will get a reprint in various shapes due to their affect. The effect of the card ‘N’ will not be removed from the game, but ‘N’ itself will phase out. For example; the Scatter Shot Mewtwo’s effect already have seen a reprint on Gardevoir GX. Sets that are legal in extended format usually end up with random booster packs in products like the tins.

The cards in the common rarity that I think will gain value, are the trainer cards from Base/Jungle/Fossil/Rocket just because they got chucked in the trash or handled poorly because they were cards without a Pokémon on it. Scott himself mentioned them in one of his recent video’s, that he buys 1st Edition Base trainer cards that are priced under $40 every single day.

I guess I should go ahead and sell them now for cheap then. It’s strange, you’d think once something is gone, no matter how rare it is there will be people who want it and that will make the value go up. So even in 30 years, if anyone starting is just starting the burning shadows set, the cards will still be worthless even when there won’t be many circling around in good condition by that point.

Honestly. Unless Nintendo does a crazy decision and killing Pokémon in 2030 I bet I can go online and buy an XY Evolution box for under $250.

Current day product is no longer produced in quantities that barely come close to market demand. The whole old-fashion WotC mind-set of making cards rare by making the product hard to obtain is long gone. Even Magic dropped that idea when WotC was bought by Hasbro.

Your commons will still have value, even if it’s just $0.02 to $0.05, and popular Pokémon like the starters, the legendaries etc. will hold value in some shape or form. Don’t dump product just because it’s assumed to be worthless.

1 Like

You know what I have seen a rise in popularity. Japanese pokemon cards, not only do i see rare ones but the japanese versions are becoming more wanted. I’ve heard some people say the artwork is generally always better

I would agree on popularity of old back and speciality cards, but for many years now art work on the Japanese versions is the same as the other print.