Should cards be able to move inside PSA cases?

Hi guys. I have a lot of PSA graded cards, but just got a bunch of cards graded in the newest style case. Something I noticed was that almost every card could “shift” slightly inside the case. Tilting the case upside down makes the cards actually shift up or down in the case. With older cases it seems the cards are better pinned in place, but my recent return has every card capable of shifting.

Anyone else have this issue? I’m just worried about my PSA 10 cards getting damaged while in the case! For now they looks perfect still.

To clarify further, all the cards and cases seem totally fine, but are simply free to shift a bit in the case. In the past it seemed like cards were unmovable inside the case.

Yes, that’s normal. Like I’ve said numerous times. I’ve put them in paint mixers and no damage occurred. You can relax;)

4 Likes

Great question i can confirm i have a few cards that move in the case and have often wondered the same thing as in transit im sure this could cause edge wear! I wasn’t sure if the cards were slightly miss-cut or the case wasn’t made right hard to know but a lot of my cards don’t have this problem so i think it must be the case!
Look forward to seeing everyone else’s thoughts.

LOL @not Zelda Gilroy why would you ever put a psa card in a paint mixer lol what other tests have you done on psa cases!

Some cards are fussy and like the extra breathing room.

And as a cheeky bonus you can shake them like a maraca and get a beat going! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

It was years ago but I’ve done water tests too…boiling lol.

5 Likes

The PSA cases are designed that way to allow some expansion and contraction due to humidity or temperature. It actually prevents card damage.

I had a psa 9 shadowless Charizard shipped to me in a large over sized box with no packaging material. It rattled around in the box the whole way. It was fine when it arrived! The card doesn’t have enough moving room to cause damage. Especially with Gary testing in the paint can shaker,I can confidently say the cards are safe in the capsule!

Excellent… Why do some of the older cases seem to not allow motion though I wonder? Seems like they have less wiggle room. I remember Scott saying the new cases “breath” better.

They should put a dab of super glue on the back of the cards to hold them in place. :wink:

2 Likes

I like my cards to have wiggle room. Being squeezed so tight that they can’t move makes me uneasy.

1 Like

Team Rocket cards seem to move the most in the new cases in my opinion .

I always assumed they were vacuum sealed, so they were held in place by the vacuum not physical pressure.

Although I guess vacuum is still technically a physical pressure.

Most of my cards are fine but I do have one that moves like crazy. I was more concern about water getting it since it seems like it wasn’t sealed right. (In case of a flood) Then I remembered that it never rains in Southern California so that wont be an issue for me :joy:

2 Likes

But man, it pours;)

I just got my first PSA card on eBay, it was quite cheap but also gem mint 10. But I was quite surprise it can move around in case. I was also wanted to know if it can cause damage. So I tilt it a few times and I think it can cause damage. Tilted it from bottom to top and I made two little white dots at the top. Also I think I have little more edge wear on one side. I was hoping it would not move and I don’t have to be careful, but no I still have to be somewhat careful. It seem to me top loaders are better at protecting cards as they don’t move? Maybe I miss the little side edge wear as I need to be at some angle in the bright light, also if the card is leaning more on the side then the other you wont see it then too as the holder is covering it. But I made the two white dots at the top 90 percent sure, also made a thud noise.

Sorry, adding to my comment above, if you see a card that you think it got a grade that it doesn’t deserve.It probably got tilted heavily too much.