Shameful excuses for non payment of auction

Someone won a blister from me last night. They have had the winning auction all week and noone outbid them. This afternoon i get a message saying they have been in the hospital since monday cuz their kid got into a bad accident. Then said i cant pay i need money for hospital bills. Went back and forth then said fuck it. I told them its fine and to wait 3 days so i can file an unpaid case and not pay any fees for cancellation. They then sent me a screenshot of my 1 negative feedback comment and talked a lil shit. Then payed me and let me know about the negative feedback ill be receiving. Whatever. To me, its clear they couldve avoided this and payed me but failed at getting out of it. So if this was a false claim to get out of paying, am i the only one that thinks this is an awful and despicable thing to lie about? I have a kid and would never throw my kid into a story like that to not pay for cards. Insane.

3 Likes

They don’t have a kid.

11 Likes

Save the invisible children.

9 Likes

I know they did! I also know that $100 for my power keepers blister was needed for their ‘hospital bills’ they said it!!

Exactly. Your average adult with kids isn’t going to drag them into it, and instead accept their basic responsibility of paying for what they bid on.
Just another case of buyer’s remorse. At least be honest about it! :confounded:

1 Like

I recorded me packaging it in the lobby of my local post office and the woman let me take a pic of it on the scale. I just have a feeling they will try to think of a new excuse to return it and get out of paying all together. Anddd cost me to have it shipped back. All because of buyers remorse

Yep, that’s why I often advice people to set aside 1% of their ‘profits’ in order to cushion the blow of these kind of situations. Unfortunately, your case is one of many here on this forum (like the thread @smpratte pointed to) that’ll cost the seller time, money and perhaps some faith in humanity at times. :wink:

And worst of all; you can’t really avoid this if you’re selling to a broad audience. But always remember that there are a lot of good people as well. Don’t let the bad ones stand in the way of making great connections (but keep a list of names of the ones that do). Which reminds me; What was the username of the buyer?

I always take into account any fees, etc when selling. Plus the inly time i go all out and record and all that is if the buyer gives me a tough time with no real reasoning for it. The username is mathechamma. All i can do is leave ‘positive’ feedback about how irresponsible they are. Had to do the same earlier this year with someone who claimed i sold them fake welder cards lolol

My favorite one -

I sold an eBay buyer a PSA Coin & card they messaged beforehand saying it’s their son’s birthday and if I could do a discount.

All seemed normal and fine, so I gave a little discount and then even threw in some free cards for the birthday.

They received, I got a message saying thanks so much for the free gift and left it there, importantly they didn’t leave feedback.

A few days go by, eBay message a case has been opened please review, to my utter shock and surprise it was the above buyer.
I messaged immediately asking what the problem was, they messaged back ‘son doesn’t want them anymore’, they requested I paid the return postage and just became quite the persistent nuisance.

In the end, I just had to refund the full amount, let them keep the items and get the positive feedback left on my account.

So normal getting screwed over type thing going on.

To my amazement a day later I received a message saying how thankful they were over a hot wheels set and a free car for their son’s birthday…

I’ll let you work out what was going on there!

1 Like

Confession time. I once told a seller that I wouldn’t be able to pay for an item I had won because I had a serious accident and was going to be off work for an unforeseen amount of time. He was properly mad and didn’t believe me at all. The truth was that I was in hospital with broken heels, ankle, wrist, elbow, and fractured back. The moral of the story is, sometimes these wild stories are true.

2 Likes

The lesson is to just refund and not ask any questions

4 Likes

If they have a legit reason to return an item of course. If the person i sold this to makes up some excuse for returning (it was exactly what was pictured, shipped cautiously, and quickly) More than likely cuz of buyers remorse then im sticking to my guns. Idc about some negative feedback knowing the only reason they wanna return is cuz they flat out dont wanna pay for it, even tho they bid on this item and won

By fighting back you have nothing to gain, you will lose everytime. You waste your own time and only harm your reputation.

4 Likes

Unfortunately this is true but only because this type of mentality is feeding the greater population that are possessing less and less common sense

untrue, the most intelligent person in the world couldn’t block a return, its just how the ebay return system works

Dont bid on things you cant afford. Simple. Otherwise, save your money and be responsible

1 Like