Set of the Fortnight #22 - EX Holon Phantoms

A few days ago someone posted a partial EX Holon Phantoms collection on the pkmntcgcollection-reddit, and as I was appreciating the great artworks, I figured it would be a nice set for this next Set of the Fortnight.

EX Holon Phantoms
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EX_Holon_Phantoms_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
The thirteenth EX era set (second of the Delta Species sub-era). Although it’s from the EX era, this set only contains 3 Pokémon-EX cards, which is the lowest of all EX era sets. The set was released in English on May 3rd, 2006 and contains 111 cards in total (with one Secret Rare).

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Let me start with my personal favorite. Not only is Seviper my favorite Pokémon, this artwork is also among my favorites of the Sevipers (only second to the Call of Legends one).

Some other great artworks:

And although I’m usually not that much of a fan of these style of artwork, I actually kind like this Phanpy as well:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I am pretty sure this wasn’t the first set with gold stars (that honor goes to EX Team Rocket Returns). Unseen Forces, Deoxys, Delta Species, and Legend Maker also all came out before this set with gold stars - it does have 3 epic gold stars though this set: Gyarados, Pikachu, and Mewtwo

Anyhow some artworks I love from this set:

Kabuto:

2 Likes

Based on bulbapedia, I think quadoor meant the first delta species gold star pokemon*

2 Likes

Ah - makes sense - either way I really love the entire block of delta species artworks, all of them are just class

This is yet another great set from the original ex era - lots of great artwork, great Pokemon, cool Gold Stars… And cool pack art! Looking at the art style I think the English booster art is made my Masakazu Fukuda.

However, I think the ex cards were really dull on this set. Mightyena and Crawdaunt are bit boring, at least Mew saves it a little bit. And now that I was thinking about the ex cards - I know the Japanese versions of them came from decks. So I was thinking if the Japanese Holon Phantom set had any ex cards coming from the booster packs? Apparently no! I realized that only now looking at the set lists on Bulbapedia. That’s really odd.

Anyways, here are some of my favorites from this set. Kingdra is the coolest one I think :blush:

2 Likes

The holo Kingdra really butters my popcorn

1 Like

You’re completely right. Misread it when I added some information about the set. My bad… I’ve removed the part about the Gold Stars. Thanks for the correction, @sevenjirachis77.

Greetz,
Quuador

:blush: metal karp

1 Like