Seller Trying to Get his Card Back/Shipping Issues

To save himself money on import taxes he took a gamble. That was his choice and he must shoulder the risk since he was basically taking it in his hands to self insure, but now that it comes time to “pay out a claim” he doesn’t want to. He’s likely saved a lot of money over the years avoiding taxes and will do so in the future, so just chalk this one up as a loss and overall he is still ahead of if he paid taxes on everything he’s bought. You owe him nothing and he should be grateful you’ve offered the $350 cash replacement. I’d pursue the $85 insurance value and send that along.

3 Likes

You’r right we don’t know everything, but saying “a little rude and jumping the gun” is wrong. The OP said “His options are to take the cash value of the trade I offered or follow up on his threat to send the money back and be out $750 + a $750 card. I think he’s got no choice.” The OP knows he is in the stronger position and just wants to be justified in keeping the card. Judging by most of the responses. That’s what will happen.

This is why trades are messy. You need to always agree beforehand on what will happen if items get lost or damaged in the mail. Usually this issue is avoided by insuring for the full value of the package or, if you’re a bit of a gambler, simply agreeing that if your package gets lost then you just chock it up as a loss. Paying him for the current value of the lost pack isn’t something that makes sense. If I sell something on eBay for $500, ship it with insurance and it gets lost I’m going to receive $500 for it even if the item is worth $1,000 now. Same thing from the buyer’s perspective; if they pay $500 for it and it gets lost in the mail and they don’t receive it they are refunded the original purchase price, not the current market value. All that being said, it depends on your original agreement.

3 Likes