Paranoid seller screws himself over

I’ll keep this rant pretty vague as the seller might end up working this out. Keep in mind, this seller does have the top-rated seller status with only 1% negative feedback.

Basically, I purchased a card, paid, it was delivered but damaged. I knew it was damaged before shipping because the packaging was very good. I contacted the seller and sent in the return request, the seller accepted and then ghosted me. I waited a few days and checked for the return label but nothing was there. I waited another couple days and was greeted to several angry messages from the seller.

“you want to keep the item, and get your money back to re sell”“dont worry I contacted ebay and my lawyer so get ready, you have scammed other but not me and not today”(Shortened but those were their actual words)

I made sure to keep it very professional and told the seller I had no intentions of keeping the card, and I just needed him/her to send me a label. I heard nothing back again for a few days, so I decided it was time to at least ask ebay support what I was supposed to do. They confirmed he hadn’t sent me any label and said that they would have to wait 3 days to step in and ask him/her for one. I waited and he did not send a label. I messaged ebay support again and they said they could now send him/her the demand. The support agent sent it and within an hour the seller had sent me a refund and another angry message.

“Looks like I was officially SCAMMED. Damn your good, congratulations.”

He/She sent a refund instead of sending a return label and called me a scammer. From an ebay perspective I have no obligation to send them anything back, but morally I know it is not my property. I messaged the seller and asked for a label and told them again that I simply wanted a return. It’s a $800 item so I can’t see them writing it off as a loss, especially when I’ve made it clear I want them to take it back.

I don’t own this card, but at what point do I just give up trying to get a label from the seller? I’m not paying for insurance/shipping so should I just send it with basic tracking and consider it done?

2 Likes

@bowleous, the seller just sees you as a scammer, I’d give up if I were you

4 Likes

Just use pirate ship to create a 3 dollar first class label and call it a day. It’ll make it there, so no need to waste money on insurance if your not on the hook anyway.

1 Like

Do you know if that works in Canada? I’m in Canada and the seller is in the US.

The seller was mean and unprofessional, but I don’t think that would sit well with my conscience.

He issued a refund instead of a return and is ghosting you. Sounds to me like he doesn’t even want the item at this point especially if it was damaged

3 Likes

It is on them, I’m in a similar position now with a Japanese seller. Bought a stormfront zard that showed up with creases. Seller immediately accepted return but said they won’t send a label. I told them the card will gather dust until eBay states I no longer am under obligation to return OR they provide the label/funds. Don’t allow your good nature to enable the habits of someone else’s poor nature.

5 Likes

It seems like this is the case.

To be safe, it might be worth messaging the seller one more time to make very clear to him that you’d like to return the card but need him to reissue a return label. And then gold onto the card for at least a couple months just in case.

If he chooses not to respond or doesn’t take action… The card is yours, he’s issued you a refund, there’s nothing to feel guilty about. Think of it as making up for a subpar customer experience. You tried your best to return it, he didn’t want the card back.

3 Likes

I sent the seller a message after I was notified that they sent a refund. I said to them that I have no intentions of keeping the card and that I will send it back if they send me the printable label.

1 Like

You have their return address from the original packet. Just up and pay for $15 to get it back across the border and send it back, especially if the seller has already refunded you in full. Your act of kindness in returning the card even though you were already refunded could go a lot further than you know.

12 Likes

Agreed with @kpod. I also wonder if there’s the possibility of a language barrier here. For me there seems to be some kind of disconnect between the messages where the seller doesn’t apparently seem to understand what they’re meant to do. Either that or they’ve worked themselves up so much that they have missed something. Either way, thanks for being one of the good beans.

5 Likes

hell yeah new free card!

2 Likes

So will you return it or keep it?

1 Like

I would return it first class and be done with it.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty obvious (to you as well given your posts) that regardless of the seller’s action you should return the card. You want to, it’s within your power to, just send the card back and move on. You’ll likely feel better than owning a damaged card + bad conscious.

1 Like

Gotcha. I’m honestly not too sure. There is probably a way to ship it around 15 dollars.

1 Like

But how funny is it that the seller goes, “god you’re good”, like you cracked the code on the backdoor cyberspace of ebay, hacked your way into the system, pulled some numbers, hooked up with contacts. Like dude, it is pretty simple here, accept the return and send a label.

4 Likes

its usually around $15 for me to send a small packet to the states via Canada Post

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. I messaged the seller and told them they have until Dec 4th to send me a label or I am cutting off contact with them. Hopefully, they will send a label or message back, but if they do not send me one I will mail it back at my own cost. I’m really hoping he pays and at least acknowledges my efforts.

5 Likes

I respect the way you have handled this, and if it were me I would indeed send it back myself with the most cost effective method. I think the karma will come back to you

3 Likes