Seasonal collecting?

Do you guys collect more or less during a certain time of the year? I consistently collect year round, but for me it seems like I usually slow down a little during the summers. During the winter months is when I usually collect the most. I’m curious if anyone else notices patterns like this?

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s definitely a pattern showing more collecting-activity during winters over summers in many collecting hobbies. If only for the fact people usually are stuck at home more often during the winter months compared to the summer months.

As a seller of collectibles summer can feel comparatively slow, especially compared to the madness that is the winter months, but obviously the holiday season has a lot to do with that as well. :blush:

9 Likes

I think I’m collecting more on summer,
I have more time to seek and follow deals & auctions during summer vacations(usually I’m always on work), +more capital to use for hoppies.Here we actualy get better salary during vacations than normaly.

people get promoted/bonuses from work at year-end, beginning of year, and with the holidays, maybe there’s a propensity to spend. in the summers, people are doing trips, moving, etc. at least this is some general trend i see in other market sectors. i know the real estate market is usually crazy in the summers here in Dallas. there’s probably a variety of reasons, but those are a few points to consider. of course, i’m only speaking about US trends.

still waiting for more alakazam cards…

1 Like

I’m more of a summer collector. I have a business and I’m busiest during the summer so I have more money. Winter, things slow down so I have to cool it with collecting usually.

1 Like

I think I probably spend more around tax return (April) and raise/bonus time (February) since that’s the time when I have a large influx of disposable income.

3 Likes

I collect Christmas cards. It’s a nightmare in the summer months.

8 Likes

This was definitely a big thing in sport card collecting. I knew I could pick up Basketball cards on the lower end during the summer months. Pokemon however, I feel can be all over the place, and depends on what is about to be released.

1 Like

My collecting goes through 2 different seasons, which are in 2 weeks intervals. The first season is My paycheck in the middle of the month, this paycheck mainly goes to bills and necessities with very little wiggle room for pleasures and not much ever left over. The second season is my paycheck at the end of the month, with all my bills Paid by this point, a large portion of this is disposable. Usually all of it goes towards pokemon.

4 Likes

^Mine is somewhat similar to Mike’s above, except I do it in a 12-month time frame.
Usually January to June my finances are focused on monthly/annual payments on the car, health insurance, savings/investment goals.
Then by July until end of the year, I start to get a better projection of how much free cash I can spend on hobbies / vacations.
Real life obligations always come first for me; the longest I went without purchasing a card was about 6 months, and I’d never put myself in a position where I would jeopardize my long term life goals over a hobby (as much as I love collecting).