Scary thought

Just seen this on fb, a guy in the yugioh community was able to open psa cases with his bare hands ! Makes you wonder how many replaced cards are out there! Stay alert people

2 Likes

buy the card not the grade i guess.

1 Like

This kind of thing makes me worried. Yugioh already suffers enough from mass counterfeiting so if they’re able to put in fake cards as replacement and repeat the process, it’s a constant bank on the cards, a false report on POP #, and so much else.

3 Likes

At what point does grading make sense then? If the case can be cracked and the cards replaced grading totally loses its value in my opinion.

2 Likes

Precisely if your just buying the card not grade why buy graded cards if this can be done

You should still use your common sense when buying graded cards, be your own expert, don’t blindly buy cards - get clear front and back pictures and compare the condition to the grade it received, don’t buy a card if you personally can not authenticate it, make sure you know what a real card looks like before handing over your hard earned money

4 Likes

Well this definitely helps to solidify my lack of desire for graded cards if nothing else. Scary for tcg communities though.

1 Like

Not that scammers wouldn’t know how to do this type of thing anyway, but does anyone else feel like this guy posting a public photo of this is a bad idea, as it can just give Scumbagprattes a tip?

Should have just sent a private e-mail to PSA about it.

Then again, I guess it’s also warning the community.

3 Likes

Don’t the sides PSA cases cloud up if anything like this ever happens? should be pretty easy to see if it had been tampered with?

1 Like

These come up from time to time and are a big concern when they happen, but very rare occurrence IMO. There is no trick to breaking out a properly sealed card from the case. Period. These cards were not properly sealed at PSA. Period. These were not broken out cards that we need to worry about it happening en masse.

Sonic sealers are extremely common in many industries for packaging. Many more people would have the equipment needed to seal these cases than would have the equipment to create a counterfeit of any remote resemblance to the cases. These cases could fairly easily have lesser condition or fake cards put into them, then be sealed and be taken for legitimate.

I don’t think this is an issue of a one-off weak seal as I’ve seen multiple independent people break open the case with their hands and leave no sign of tampering.

I mean as evidenced by the screenshot not all of this guys cards were as easy as the others. I think it’s overall occurring on a very low proportion of cards from PSA but when it happens it isn’t unreasonable that it could happen on a few cards in a row. It could be due to a hasty worker not allowing the full sonic sealing process to finish or just faulty equipment.

In any case this following statement is a fact. A proper sonically welded seal between this type of plastic cannot be undone without evidence. The case doesn’t have some inherent issue that will cause mass evidence free cracking of cards going ahead. It is 100% a situation of PSA not sealing cards properly. The issue will be relegated to only those slabs that they let out without proper sealing which given their incompetence in other parts of their business could be a lot more than anyone would be comfortable seeing the number.

Stay safe out there folks and remember to collect cardboard not sonically welded pieces of plastic and their fancy encased labels.

1 Like

I’d have to see the exact process and fail rate to gauge how many exclamation points and emojis I should use in my internet outrage.

The cases are frosted so that is a dead giveaway. Even for the rafflemaster420’s who can crack cases in their sleep, they have consistent frosting on multiple-all borders which never organically occurs. You might get a bit of frosting from a pressure point. But when you have two full frosted borders where a card could escape, bye Felicia.

7 Likes

Has anyone got a image of the frosting comparrasion between a cracked case and one which is not?

2 Likes

Easy to tell a resealed slab vs original. Resealed slabs have frosting on multiple edges. Re-sealed slabs are also more flexible since once the sonic weld is broken it increases in flexibility. PSA literally has a page on their website detailing how to tell between a legit slab/label and a fake or resealed slab.

Based on what I can see in this thread, even the loser who cracked those says “ALMOST no evidence of tampering”. That means there IS evidence of tampering…which is good.

The earlier cases couldn’t be cracked without causing frosting and chipping all over. For those concerned, just stay away from the new label cases.

3 Likes

Right. in all honesty it’s nearly impossible to crack a slab without producing frosting on multiple sides. There’s always ways to discern between a legit slab and resealed slab. Do your research and you should be fine.

1 Like

I saw this post, it’s specifically with the new label slabs for whatever reason. Someone tried it themselves after seeing the thread and was able to break open the one and only case they tried with their bare hands. People familiar with PSA cases would be able to tell if a case was broken open and resealed, but swapping in a card and selling the glued together case I’d say is more targeted at new collectors that wouldn’t know the signs.

That’s just scary, that is ._. Stay vigilant, everyone!

In all reality this person could be totally lying to try and seem impressive to whoever his followers on Instagram are. He could very well have taken a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to the back portion of the slab and went around the entire border of the slab removing it. Possibly damaging the card in the process too. This guys declaration of bare hand cracking has no proof. Since all the cases are front facing out there’s no way to tell what the back looks like. Like Smpratte said, I’d need to see a video of this being done with just two bare hands. None the less being vigilant and aware of red flags is important to bring into awarwness in any case of slab tampering however it is done. Good stuff sharing that OP!

2 Likes