Same Card, Same Foil Pattern, Anyone Else Experience This?

Hello, I found this interesting. I’ve never had it happen to myself before, but It just happened today. These two cards were bought many months apart, and from very different sellers. So it just feels like a very low probability for it to happen.

Has anyone ever had this same experience? I think it’s really cool. Not only is it an identical pattern, if slightly shifted up and left a little, but it is also a card that has a fantastic swirl placement. (I think the bottom one has better placement.)

In the photos, you can see the bottom card is shifted slightly up and to the right. Follow that same trajectory for every other dot on the foil and you will find it’s double in exactly the same orientation.

This is likely just random chance, but I’m curious if anyone has any knowledge as to if these two could be cut from the same sheet? Likely not is my guess, but just an idle thought either way.

5 Likes

Anything is possible, I guess? I don’t really see this as a big deal or anything and I definitely think its possible with the printing process that there are cards out there with identical patterns and holo placements.

Yessir, very strange!

I’ve actually seen it on a first edition and unlimited card:

Hard to explain!

4 Likes

Perfectly common and expectable in offset printing. Cards are made using a litographic process in which the pattern is repeatedly printed onto paper/foil sheets so, random as it may seem to the untrained eye, the foil pattern is not something that gets generated in a million different ways, but rather something that gets printed onto thousands of larger sheets with a fixed pattern. Having previously worked in offset printing, I would be more surprised to find a holo pattern that is unique in the world.

The fact that the pattern is placed slightly higher has to do with printer calibration and elasticity of materials. The exact same type of paper will stretch differently under different temperature, humidity levels, how long it was stored for, etc.

Now, this being said, the odds of the same person finding two cards with the same holo pattern given how random the printing, cutting and packaging process is aren’t likely to be that high, so yeah, as a collector I have to say those are a cool find @pigeonsyndicate. :blush:

2 Likes