Sad to see people already flipping my sold cards. Thoughts?

this thread is funny

7 Likes

I’m the same way. I’ll buy things and hold onto them for a few months and end up selling them off usually. Very few things I own that I actually keep forever or even longer than a year or two.

Yeh, I’m not complaining.

Its like if you sold a PSA 10 Charizard for $20,000 (which you’ll never do lol) and then saw that person sell if 2 month later for $20,200, you might think, ‘well he wasted his time’ or ‘I wonder why’.

It was a mere observation.

Perchance he bought it with the intention to keep it but was disappointed with the quality of the card.

I flip cards all the time, unintentionally.

Every card I buy I hope to keep, but if 2 months later I desire a different card, if I have no capital, I might sell a card I just bought to have the funds to satisfy my new desire.

Just happens.

To be frank though, it’s not really your say so why worry?

Another one? Do you want him telling you what to spend the money on??? Ok, then what in the hell gives you the right to tell your customer what to do with their card?

You are such an horrible human being.

2 Likes

Okay. He was your customer. You took his money. He didn’t tell you how to spend it because it’s not his money anymore. SO WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU CARE WHAT HE DOES WITH HIS OWN STUFF???

And now it appears the guy chimed in above and felt he had to explain?
You two are not piddlyass little girls. GROW UP. A deals a deal and what happens after that it none of your friggen business.
I need an aspirin.

4 Likes

Haha. This thread is stupid.

It could be worse OP, it could be one of the crackers regrading it and flipping for $2000. Good for them.

Selling is an important part of the hobby. Most people are not flippers, but they do sell for various reasons. Even big collectors/hoarders part with cards pretty much on a daily basis. It’s none of your business what happens to your card once you sold it. If the person wants to crack it open and light it on fire it’s their choice too.

1 Like

Some people might not see these kinds of exchanges as a vender-customer kind of relationship. In some cases you may feel like you’re doing a favour for a fellow collector.

I understand why people may have these reactions but in the end Gary is right. At the simplest level this is a just an exchange of goods for money. Unless you bind a contract that says what the buyer does with the item you have no say in the matter and these feelings are irrational.

1 Like

so lesson is, next time be sure you really want to sell it and be satisfied if you do! :wink:

1 Like

Even if the buyer says they are buying the cards to wallpaper their room who cares if they boil them in water? Seriously. Is there nothing else in life to do than concern ones self with such things?

2 Likes

This is the problem - selling cards shouldn’t be done as a favor, it should be done as a service. You provide the card, they provide payment. If you’re happy with the compensation, then sell and move on. If you aren’t, don’t sell. Even if the buyer is a collector and their intentions are good in the short-term, these things change. Make sure you’re happy with what you are getting out of it, and be at peace with the situation.

/2cents

2 Likes

Yeah I’m honestly sorry I even said anything. I knew I would be in the minority, but I did state that I never really sell anything. I’m attached to the cards I own. So I would never really be put in that situation.

The only way I can exaggerate this further is if I were to sell a miscut card. They are my favorite types of cards, and I’m definitely attached to them to the point that I would never sell any. But let’s say there’s a scenario where I do sell one, and I ask a premium for it, and I get that premium. Then let’s say the buyer shreds the card to bits when he gets it in the mail, or he gives it to someone and they bend it up or something.

Yes I got my asking price just fine, but if you think I’m gonna take what the owner does lightly and not give a damn, then you’re dead wrong. It’s difficult for me to see it the other way because I never sell anything. But hell, I’m probably wrong because I’m not like the majority. I would think that everyone would have at least one card that they’d care what happens to if they sold it, but I guess not. Pokemon is just dollar signs and business currency nowadays. That’s just not how I see it.

2 Likes

…then you don’t sell it. If you have to sell it, then you have no right to direct any sort of emotional dissatisfaction towards the buyer for what they choose to do with the card… That would be quite unfair and selfish for you to do.

What if I was the owner of a small grocery store. Let’s say when you bought a watermelon from the store, I got upset with you when I found out that you used the watermelon to perform Gallagher skits, instead of eating it with your family.

Wouldn’t that be a bit silly?

1 Like

If I was to describe the feeling that some might feel, it would be the relation to scalping where the purchase of the card was purely that to resell instantly at a higher price.

Take this card I really wanted for example… I missed the initial listing due to work
link

Only to see it relisted by the buyer within a week, even reused the same picture. Heck I don’t even know if its been delivered to him yet.
link

Now clearly there is nothing wrong with what the second seller did. He saw a market opportunity and took a calculated risk… It still doesn’t really help me shake that perception that it is any different than say… what happened with stuff like the NES Classic. Bought out of stores day 1, only to be relisted in mass on sites at 4x the price.

Please, just shoot me now!

I don’t think it’s wrong to see a transaction as a friendly favour. Having that human element is a great way to build a community. The problem lies when you expect the buyer to see it the same way.

So sure, feel good that you helped out a member of the community but that’s where the emotions should end. Otherwise you’ll have disappointment after disappointment.

5 Likes

It’s important to make the distinction that scalping and flipping are working within different parameters, mainly that with scalping there is a pool of availability that you have access to through nefarious means like bots that allows you to buy a huge chunk of that pool.

Getting upset at scalpers for buying 100 concert tickets or NES classics make sense because they are literally abusing the system using bots. For collectables though, everyone has every right to sell or not sell and every person has a fair opportunity to purchase. So if you see a good deal and you buy it purely because it’s 30% under market value and then you flip it, good on you for sharp analysis of the market value and opportunity to capitalize. Nothing morally repugnant about that like with scalpers described above.

2 Likes

I think the appropriate word to describe @garyis2000 right now is flabbergasted

9 Likes