Ruler of the Black Flame or Obsidian Flames?

With Ruler of the Black Flame releasing in Japan today and Obsidian Flames releasing in two weeks, it occurred to me that this is probably the first time in a while that a modern set has released with such a short window between languages.

Does that affect which set you’ll decide to collect? Personally, I have been collecting Japanese for modern sets for the last year for two reasons: the print quality vs English & because I’m impatient and want the art asap.

Curious to see if the shortened window between releases affects other’s collecting decisions

2 Likes

Pogo was similarly close (June 24 EN, June 17 JP)
Celebrations was actually released in English before Japan (Oct 8 vs Oct 22). Both are special sets for EN though, so maybe that means something :man_shrugging:

Personally, I buy primarily English. The differences between the two aren’t big enough to make me switch over to JP. Obf is pretty meh to me overall. Im just gonna save for 151

2 Likes

My preferences:

Alt Arts = prefer ENG
25th = prefer JPN
Radiants = JPN
Black gold Vmax = JPN
Gold Vstars = ENG
Rainbow = ENG
GX = ENG
Shining, :goldstar:, ex, crystals = ENG
Dark = JPN

:laughing:

1 Like

i prefer the quality and texturing of the Japanese cards and will always go for Japanese/Thai/Chinese nowdays outside of needing to get english for language set collecting.

1 Like

With this set it won’t matter much. No cards in this set seem to be going for much even in Japanese.

@thsigma I didn’t know that about POGO or Celebrations thanks for sharing. I agree that both sets are pretty meh. Saving up for 151 sounds like a great choice!

@pokebuffet I agree!

@DragonClasher Japanese definitely has better quality and texturing than English, I make the same choice with my own collecting

@wadeit0ut fair point, prices have dropped super quickly for opening weekend

2 Likes

I’ll be picking up Japanese copies of the Pidgeot line, as well as the Ninetales, Gloom, Clefairy, and Houndour. Not feeling the Larvitar or Charizard arts.

2 Likes

Heard some comments online this set is not very well-received. I see booster boxes fallen to $100+

1 Like

It’s an understatement. Dropped all the way to 60$ish.

1 Like

Becomes Ostentatious Flames now. :smile:

1 Like