The Giant Floppy Taco Rudy Thread

This is the other side of what I mentioned in this post a little while ago:

I can certainly see what Rudy is saying here coming to pass. If Pokemon “gives up” on reprinting to tamp down prices for these sets, interest remains high, and alt arts continue to be seen as some of the best and most collectible set cards of all time, I can understand a modern takeoff, especially in the box prices.

That being said, I stand by what I mentioned earlier that this is an incredibly risky play. People have been hoarding these boxes since release. Pokemon can reprint them at a moment’s notice. As @gengarbrigade mentioned, some of us are old enough to remember how it went the last time Rudy made a play on sealed Pokemon. He bought in to mid-era XY boxes, sang their praises, the market tanked due to plentiful reprints and Rudy couldn’t offload these boxes for $80 apiece. And in that market, he was one of the few people keeping those boxes as investments.

High risk, high reward on this kind of stuff. I’m not touching most modern with a 10 foot pole. Alt arts are beautiful, but I’ll take NM gold stars over them all day long.

9 Likes