Resource for finding and researching Japanese promos?

I’ve been trying to google websites, Reddit, e4, etc. for more information on current promos and upcoming promos, but haven’t been able to locate a good resource for it. I’m interested in promos such as the poncho pikachus, Mario/Luigi pikachus, Scream Munch series, etc. I was able to get my hands on a set of the Mario/Luigi pikachus about 1 year ago and absolutely love them.

Is there any website that will provide info on any future or upcoming promos or promo sets?
Appreciate any help or insight!

Try www.pokeguardian.com/ for some of the latest news on upcoming English and Japanese releases.

You can also take a look at www.pokemon-card.com/ for some images of the latest Promo releases. :blush:

AT.

www.portal-pokemon.com is Pokémon’s official gateway to all the different language websites. Languages which are still widely supported will have their own TCG sections which usually include news about all upcoming events. Japan has two different official TCG websites: www.pokemon.co.jp/card and www.pokemon-card.com

Those however will not include everything - it will certainly include mainstream products like the Mario and Poncho Pikachu sets, but releases which are location-specific like the Munch promos tend to receive very little attention on the official Pokémon website. If you want to keep up to date on Japanese releases like those I’d recommend pokeboon.com/jp or www.pokebeach.com.

2 Likes

jp.pokellector.com/sets

You can find just about all the modern promo cards there I think. However, the links to buying the cards are generally broken and the translations often completely wrong.

I checked out the TCG intro video on www.pokemon.co.jp/card , spotted Diago Umehera (Street Fighter) in the video, which was cool to see.

Cheers!

Hey Dragon, much like everything in this hobby, your journey usually begins and ends with Bulbapedia when looking for Pokémon-related answers lol. All those sites are really good too, but I usually just use the latter because I get to read everything in English and simultaneously I have the Japanese writing of the cards which I can then use to search for the exact card / just use the set code on the bottom and plug it into eBay —> in your case as an example the FA Mario Pika is going to be 294/XY-P, so I would go to eBay and just search that:

www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=294%2Fxy-p&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1311&_sacat=0

Brings up 8 listings for instance.

Unless of course, your question was deeper and you wanted to know for instance how to gain access to those “secret underground” marketplaces to buy these exclusive Japanese promos at a much steeper discount than what we see priced for us Westerners online, then that’s definitely a whole other discussion lol!

Thanks Adam. Poke guardian is neat and definitely helpful. The second link is a bit more difficult to navigate since it’s in Japanese. haha

Thanks PichuFan.

Definitely want to be up to date on the Japanese promo releases, so I’ll keep checking those last 2 links you recommended.

Thanks Pokebowl!

I guess it really should have been a 2 part question. One was information on the upcoming releases with the second being how do we obtain these cards near MSRP or at least not at a ridiculous resale price! I guess this would require a whole another discussion, but since we’re on the topic, any tricks or advice on how to do this once I’ve determined what card I would like to collect?

Haha I was trolling on my second part because I sensed the beating around the bush… but tbh the majority of people use eBay (you will get your buyer protections and a more consistent delivery schedule), if not you need to go on the Japanese sites (there’s a few guides here in the tutorials I think on how to search etc.) but since I decided to take the plunge after reading daily on it here, I noticed there’s no more “inefficiencies” lol what they list on the foreign sites when all is said and done, their price on eBay is identical… without the headaches of the middle men… granted if you’re looking for really specific cards from sets or higher listings pool then that works too… but for the promos,
So far accross the board the prices launch and maintain steady on all the marketplaces… you’re best bet is to build a relationship with a Japanese eBay seller who you see dumps hundreds of promos at the launches and try and bargain down a volume price… again if you want anything OTHER than promos then yeah use the Japanese sites for sure

@pokebowl,

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I have looked into sites like Rakuten and similar (more specific for pokemon cards) where you can copy product links from Pokemon Center Japan and they will do the ordering and shipping for you while you pay them in USD. Seems promising and will at least give it a go and see how it turns out while trying to stick with the more legit websites that have been doing this for awhile.