Resealed Japanese Booster Packs Alert !

This thread is a warning about recent resealed Japanese unlimited e series 5 booster packs that have entered the market.

A few months ago, I bought 2 Japanese E series 5 booster packs from Japan on Mercari. A month ago I received the package (as they had been sitting with buyee) and I was very disappointed and concerned to find that the 2 packs where resealed. It was quite obvious once I received the packs that the boosters where resealed but in the original listing the seller deceivingly hid the bottom of the packs.

Here is a photo I have taken:

On the left are the resealed e series 5 booster packs I received and on the right are two untampered e series 2 booster packs. On the resealed e series 5 booster pack there are two lines that have sealed the pack shut at the bottom. One that runs halfway through the original seal and another that runs at the very bottom of the pack.

The seller has removed the original listing I bought after I made a complaint through Buyee, luckily the prices where a lot cheaper than the seller has been selling them for lately, however it does seem they have sold quit a few more packs since I bought mine. Some packs seem questionable but others are clearly resealed. The resent listings show the bottom of the packs and the seller is even pointing it out in some listings, possibly because they have received bad feedback or maybe they have no knowledge of authenticity. Regardless, It also seems that other sellers have these resealed booster packs as well.

Please keep your eyes out for resealed Japanese packs with these indicators. Like I said these where pretty obvious once I got them, but make sure photos are clear as I imagine there are better reseals out there. If photos aren’t clear ask for additional ones and it also doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion.

Regardless, this post isn’t just about these resealed e series packs, but just about being careful on Japanese second-hand shopping sites as you have no buyer protection. Even I as someone who has been using Japanese sites for years, don’t get too careless as the market is changing and more scams are becoming prominent.

I should have posted this as soon as I got the packs, but I didn’t, I apologies. Everyone stay safe.

11 Likes

Sorry you had this unfortunate experience. The online marketplaces here in Japan are starting to become more and more dodgy.

I was expected this to happen to me really, after having so many good experiences in the past. Just hopping not too many others have been affected and that we can put the word out. I have certainly noticed the same trend of more fraudulent listings on Japanese market places over the years. Its a real shame, especially when there is no buyer protection.

Also found this listing on ebay: link
I have reported it, but I doubt anything will be done.

Yeah, that eBay one isn’t likely to be removed, as the title and description make no mention of it being “factory-sealed” or even “sealed.” Sneaky and so unethical.

1 Like

Update: this Mercari seller has started selling resealed packs again. Please be careful, there are many scam listings going around.

jp.mercari.com/item/m31837976134

1 Like