Release information on 600 pts Shining fanclub magikarp

Hi everyone

Does anyone knows if the fanclub variant of Shiny Magikarp is the first ever shiny pokemon card released? Was it released before or after neo 3/neo relevation?

1 Like

Awakening Legends (Neo 3) was released in November 2000. I believe that it was May 2001 to December 2002 when Shining Magikarp was added as a Fan Club promo redemption item. So the Neo 3 copy would be “first.”

Note that PSA lists both copies at 2000 for the copyright date. Perhaps this was done because the original artwork from Neo 3 was developed/released in 2000, even though the promo variant of the Shining Magikarp artwork did not see the light of day until the following Spring 2001.

6 Likes

Also, the Fanclub Magikarp is actually quite behind the first of the shinings. Like Dyl said Neo 3 shinings would be first as they were released in November 2000. Before the release of the Fanclub in May 2001 the CoroCoro Shining Mew was released on April 15 2001 then Neo Destiny was released on April 20 2001 and there’s 8 shinings in that set.

In order of release, so Fanclub is actually 12th
Neo 3 (2)
CoroCoro Mew (1)
Neo Destiny (8)
Fanclub (1)

6 Likes

@Frosty.Puppy @Dyl Thank you for the information :slight_smile:

Seems like the late addition of the karp explains why it is the rarest of the 3 fanclub promos.

Just piggybacking off the comment made during the discussion about Fan Club Porygon, Now that you think about it, I think the Fan Club Magikarp is rarer not because of the late addition but because there was already a version of Shiny Magikarp released with the Neo3. I can totally understand why it would appeal less to collectors where you already have a similar copy in a prior release. Given how difficult it was to obtain the GET points, I think participants just chose the other two unique cards with the Eevee and Porygon.

Thanks for the discussion.

Cheers!

1 Like

It may have been this - seeking unique arts - or it may have been the fact that Shining Magikarp (600 pts) was the middle ground point-wise. Most kids seeking a prize redeem right away (Eevee - 500 pts; i.e., instant gratification) or wait as long as possible to get the highest-point item (Porygon - 700 pts; i.e., delayed gratification with the highest honor). This may have contributed as well to the relatively low population of Shining Magikarp Fan Club promos.

1 Like

Exclusivity may have been a factor as well. Since though it is a different pattern on Magikarp you could still get the art from Neo 3. Whereas Eevee and Porygon were fan club exclusives.

1 Like