Red logo base set theme decks have been found

I opened a red logo bodyguard theme deck very recently and found that red logo base set theme decks were advertised inside. Very interesting… check the link out. imgur.com/gallery/PYDYZhD

4 Likes

I need someone more historically savvy than myself to tell me that these were never actually made… please… I cant take another impossible to find variant of English base decks…

But really, Pokemon did weird stuff with their mockups and who knows if any ever actually got printed. Chinese and Korean are the ones I know of that were printed with Red logos for Base set.

What makes me think they are mockups and not actual product is the energy symbols and Pokeball graphic on the Jungle Power Reserve box are shifted too high, which is a known variant in normal Yellow logo boxes but the Red logo deck has that lower shifted variant in all the ones Im familiar with. Theres a couple other things on the Power Reserve box that dont make sense but its nitpicky and not important to this. Also the colors on the Fossil boxes are a little off in that the fossil set logo is a red clay color and on the box I have is dark muddy brown (noticeably a different color, not likely an inking variation), as well as the Fossil deck names are slightly off looking.

If anyone finds that this variant for the red logo Jungle boxes is legitimate, please let me know so I can add it to my deck list and begin the hunt anew :sob:

6 Likes

Thanks lyleberr for contributing massively. You and others may find this link very interesting. imgur.com/gallery/VVIpxPo

Rulebook versions kinda were all over the place as far as timing goes. Version 2 and 3 rulebooks were not only found in Base decks depending on print dates and styles but also Jungle sets and Fossil decks. It makes it very likely that a red logo version 2 came from an Australian jungle deck and a red logo version 3 came from an Australian fossil deck. I’ll eventually have to check my opened red logo decks and see what versions they have.

2 Likes

Thanks lyleberr you’ve been a great help. Do you have a full set or partial set of 3rd print fossil? I’m currently missing one rare and its nice finding more people with these sets either full or part.

Partial I guess. My collection is specifically decks so Ive scrutinized the boxes to no end. I do have a sealed set of red logo Fossil decks as well as an open set of Jungle decks and the Thunderstorm/Tempest gift boxes, which is why Im familiar with 3rd print fossil and these decks in general.

2 Likes

Thanks again lyleberr. Do you have all wotc deck known variants?

I wish. My focus is solely physical box design variants, not wrapping variants. I notably dont have gold strip wrapped decks (guaranteed shadowless), as well as about 34 WOTC English deck variants that I am missing sealed. Of those, I have the boxes in various stages of completion for all but 13 known variants.

I think I have all currently known variants in my checklist but there always seems to be more variations out there. Once I am able to source the remaining 13 deck boxes (preferably sealed), I will do a full update of my collection to highlight them. I am also missing approximately 30 additional non-WOTC sealed deck, of those I have 13 boxes in various stages of completion, to have a complete deck collection of known English decks.

There are likely another 400-500ish known decks in non-english languages (about 100-150 of those are WOTC decks) so those may have to wait, especially with how difficult it is to source them in america.

1 Like

It’ll be great seeing your collection. So many people collecting so many different things its brilliant. :blush:

1 Like