Recent PSA Submission grades and comments from PSA

Hidden Fates in general has ruined a lot of pokemon TCG collecting. Insane print quality, printed into oblivion, and too many youtubers involved with it.

1 Like

A high quality products and a massive amount of consumer excitement has ruined pokemon card collecting

What

11 Likes

Easy accessibility, no chase or game to obtain product, and almost guaranteed PSA 10s. Sounds like a boring game to me.

1 Like

Double edge sword I suppose since we are talking about grading standards that coincidently seemed to have changed since this print.

1 Like

Ignoring the fact that hidden fates literally has some of the hardest cards to pull in the whole hobby, it sounds like the problem is your own expectations. No modern massed produced set has been difficult to acquire. Thatā€™s the point of a modern set. Even wotc cards are only a challenge because of their age some arbitrarily imposed requirements (1st ed, psa 10)

You could also employ your own arbitrary requirements on hidden fates, ex. Requiring that you pull and grade the cards yourself. But this is probably not an option either because what I suspect is that complaints about hidden fates really come down to about how the cards are more or less affordable and also coming down in price, and how this current state contrasts the initial impression of the set.

So no, Pokemon card collecting will live through the current scourge of high-quality product and youtube excitement. If you donā€™t feel that it works for you as a collector, thatā€™s no problem. Try one of the hundreds or thousands of other options within the pokemon card collecting universe that actually offer a chase and arenā€™t active wal-mart products.

3 Likes

Whether itā€™s the difficulty of the 1979 Topps baseball set or the easiness of Hidden Fates, collectors just love to critique. Explain, and justify.

Iā€™d add this. Did Japanese grading, where all cards are easy 10s, hurt the hobby? Nope. Well donā€™t worry about hidden fates. Just on general principles though, I wouldnā€™t mix HF and Jpn cards with any other sets in a submission.

7 Likes

I donā€™t get how they arenā€™t holding any accountability when the consumers(like yourself and TCA) document their cards before submission. Imagine if they did this to a gem mint Typhlosion 17 candidate?

This is probably the best advice in this thread, to not mix HF or JP cards with other sets in a submission. The % of Wotc cards that are even comparable to the worst Hidden Fates card in quality must be like 1% which is why PSAā€™s standards must be slightly changing(even then it doesnā€™t make sense why you wouldnā€™t just keep your grading with certain sets consistent with the past)

No point throwing in $10 Hidden Fates GXes into a submission with potential $1000 Jungle 1st editions and having the graders compare the quality between the two

1 Like

Statistics time!
In the 2 weeks between 1st January 2020 and 15th January 2020 there have been:

16x ā€¦ PSA 1
1x ā€¦ PSA 1.5
13x ā€¦ PSA 2
20x ā€¦ PSA 3
63x ā€¦ PSA 4
117x ā€¦ PSA 5
232x ā€¦ PSA 6
1x ā€¦ PSA 6(Q)
3x ā€¦ PSA 6.5
403x ā€¦ PSA 7
6x ā€¦ PSA 7.5
1,271x . PSA 8
1x ā€¦ PSA 8(Q)
72x ā€¦ PSA 8.5
2,799x . PSA 9
8x ā€¦ PSA 9(Q)
2,342x . PSA 10
7,276x . Total full grades
10 ā€¦ Total qualifier grades
82x ā€¦ Total half grades

Looking specifically at Hidden Fates, in this period there have been:

4x ā€¦ PSA 6
6x ā€¦ PSA 7
26x ā€¦ PSA 8
1x ā€¦ PSA 8.5
122x ā€¦ PSA 9
1x ā€¦ PSA 9(Q)
443x ā€¦ PSA 10
601x ā€¦ Total full grades
1x ā€¦ Total qualifier grades
1x ā€¦ Total half grades

Hidden Fates accounts for 8.18% of the cards graded in this period, of which PSA 10s account for 18.92% of the total number of PSA 10s seen.

7 Likes

Itā€™s funny on my recent submission I have Hidden fates cards doing worse than the WOTC ones in the same submission. I thought what you stated also previously.

These numbers seem pretty healthy right? I guess that means that damages must be one offs and the reported lower grades must just be the cards not being as good as the graders think they are lol

Why would PSA start pop controlling now after theyā€™ve graded 200k cards? :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

The thing people fail to realize with PSA is graders change, and the label stays the same. PSAā€™s bulk graders are separate from higher service levels. All grading companies do not pay well. PSA was unwilling to higher a new grader at $15 an hourā€¦ To emphasize how ridiculous that is, property in New Port Beach (PSAā€™s location) is on average above 1M.

As long as customers keep coming back, which they do, there will never be any incentive to upgrade quality. From PSAā€™s perspective, continued profits say they are fine.

10 Likes

Their stock price has rebounded over the past year so they must think theyā€™re doing something right

This topic makes me a little nervous as Iā€™ve just sent my biggest submission yet to ludkins. Hoping that itā€™s not as bad as it sounds.

3 Likes

Hey everyone

As im sure alot of you have heard or experienced PSA has been changing the way the grade which is resulting in lower grades coming back. Ive been hearing it more and more lately and am curious to see if anyone here has had issues recently with their returns? I am currently debating sending a sub in and am not sure now. Please let me know your opinion or previous results.

Thanks

Moved your post here as we already have a thread about overreacting to gossip and small sample sizes.

5 Likes

Sorry i should have checked existing threads first. Thank you for putting me in the correct thread!

Iā€™ll share a bit of my perspective. I donā€™t submit too often, but I had some returns come back through Ludkins a couple weeks ago at the start of this month. I didnā€™t notice any abnormalities in the grades I received; I got mostly 9ā€™s on the cards I expected to get 9ā€™s, and I got my first ever 10 as well. These were mostly unlimited WotC holos from Base Set to Neo Revelation, about 30 cards in all. I actually had a couple shadowless holos I expected to only get a 6 or 7 get 8ā€™s, which was a nice surprise. Overall I thought their grading was very accurate and fair, and I personally am looking to submit some more cards in the near future.

6 Likes

IĀ“m by no means a huge grader myself but the few cards IĀ“ve recently graded myself were all accurately graded in my opinion. ItĀ“s always the unsatisfied who cry the most.

1 Like