Raw card price increases

Anyone else noticing raw card price getting close to its PSA graded counterpart? I’m seeing PSA 9 quality raw cards go for almost the same price of an actual PSA 9 graded card. They use to be about 1/3rd the price. I’ve had some crazy bidding wars the past few weeks. May just be me though :confused: .

2 Likes

@pokehut1 Ive noticed it myself recently as well, but seems that ive seen a tick mainly through a lot of neo-era cards. Not to say this isnt happening to others, but just saying thats been my immediate observation. In the regard I saw a Dark Typhlosion go off for around 150usd recently as well as a few others that were in that psa 9 fashion as you stated. Who knows whats going on or if it will last, but things are just wild right now.

1 Like

Here’s one example; a Dragonite that’s at $250 with a few hours to go. I was buying similar quality ones at $100 last month.

It has been this way usually since grading has got popular. With the recent surge it might have just took a little longer for the raw cards to catch up in price. If it looks like a 9 and has a chance at a 10 people are willing to take the gamble and pay the 9 price or even slightly above.

1 Like

Supply of quality raw cards is drying up, plus with PSA already have insane delays before shutting down people are scooping up what they can get.

2 Likes

In terms of WOTC 1st ed Holos and maybe some other cards, I have felt they have been massively undervalued when raw. It was only a matter of time before they spiked. Not even remotely surprised to be honest. Good condition raw cards have a finite supply.

2 Likes

That same seller has PSA graded cards for sale.

This is always a dlimena when deciding to buy. if a person has a MINT looking card, but also has graded cards. Why didn’t they grade it themselves? is it because of the current delay?

Yes, that’s why I’m not going all in. There’s something wrong that the seller sees that he would rather sell it raw. That’s the first thing I check when buying raw cards.

2 Likes

listing for a Mint base set 2 charizard

this seller has a ton of other psa cards. However, I’m guilty of that. I got a NM/mint set of WOTC and I put some mint non-holos. They were off center, but overall mint condition. Definitely no lower than 8, but very high likelyhood 9.

Mine do because as everyone knows, my pregrades are shockingly accurate;)

3 Likes

Sometimes I’ll list gradable psa 9 and even 10 quality cards because I know even a 10 will be hard to sell when graded. This obviously only applies to cards that aren’t in huge demand, but I have still done it with 1st ed wotc holos. Sometimes the money made is enough to help me get that next card I need

Im not much of a reseller, and i don’t deal in graded cards personally, but i have noticed this as well and I’m not a fan lol. I prefer clean raw cards and now it is getting more expensive!

1 Like

This logic is normally correct but in these tumultuous times with PSA being closed indefinitely, many people will just resort to selling things raw

2 Likes

tumultuous

1 Like

I recently sold a 1st Ed Blaines Charizard that I thought had a really good shot at getting a PSA 1O. The wait for PSA to open and process orders seemed like a big disadvantage to hold, especially when I could use the funds to purchase a 1st Ed Base zard id been eyeing.

2 Likes

@rescuetoast just curious, what % of a psa 10 did the buyer end up paying? I may go that route too with a few raw potential gems :stuck_out_tongue:

I totally agree with you. If people are going to pay PSA 9 prices for a minty card that would most likely get a 9 at PSA anyways, why wait months for PSA to make a decision and pay them when you can sell it for the same price as the graded copy.

Obviously this doesn’t apply to every card, and if the card does have a solid chance at a 10 I would still get it graded as likely no one will pay PSA 10 prices for any raw card. But for raw cards that are solid 9, or solid 8 if people are paying the graded price for raw, it’s heading out the door that way all day.

1 Like

@madden12ut, Assuming a PSA 10 of those sells for like 1800 then it was about 60%.

Also, just because a seller has graded cards listed does not necessarily mean that they graded the cards themselves. I get that it can sometimes be an indicator, but it’s not always the case.

3 Likes

I’m sure there is tons of people like myself that has never submitted to PSA and find it kind of intimidating and feel like it’s quite the process to deal with. I do have some PSA cards but not many. Only 3. I have plenty of raw 9 and 10 grade quality cards. (Mostly new sets in mint condition. Basically every sun and moon card i have would get 9’s and 10’s. Now I’m not selling anything but I wouldn’t submit to Psa just to sell them. I’m sure there is plenty of other people like this and ya I’m sure they might have some PSA cards but that doesn’t mean their raw cards wouldn’t grade well. Just depends on the person and collection I guess