PSA 9 vs 10

Over the past few months I’ve picked up a decent amount of 9s and raw cards. A couple of the raws look very convincing as 10s and are at worst 9s. Even if they came back 9s, I’d be perfectly content with them - and that’s the “problem” here.

I’m struggling to see the justification in price between 9s and 10s, especially knowing some 10s were really just 9s resubbed over and over until they converted. And sometimes people question a 10 grade based on pirctures of the card. Now I know this likely isn’t the case with majority of 10s on the market, and I get that 10s supposedly represent perfection. To me, it’s kind of like the difference between buying a card with a few thousand miles on it vs another identical model that’s brand new - functionally the same except it’s way more expensive. Or receiving a 93 on a test and requesting to take it again until you get 100 - both are As.

What am I not getting? Am I in the smallest of minorities here? Anyone else agree with me?

Maybe I just need convincing to get on the 10 train. Just looking to see what others think.

2 Likes

Sounds silly, but a 10 is a 10, and anything not a 10 isn’t, raw or graded,

You are right 9s or raw mint cards can be potentially 10s but before it’s sitting in that gem case very rarely going to get the premium,

I know many collectors who only collect 8s or 9s, actually seen a huge increase in PSA 9 Wotc 1st Edition collecting just this past 12 months, so you’re definitely not alone :blush:

And totally agree with @hersheycardcollector, card over grade any day of the week! :grin:

3 Likes

Well I’ve felt like a bit of an outcast with all the stuff I’ve been reading and watching about 10s. Sometimes I’ll watch someone talk about grades and mention how if X card doesn’t come back a 10, it’ll immediately be listed for sale. I’m thinking dude, I’d like to have even an 8 in that card. Haha. I guess we’re all at different levels in our collecting, but it’s hard to shake the notion of “10 or bust” when it’s so commonly said by bigger names.

2 Likes

its never good to put yourself up against others. most of the time its their actual jobs buying and selling cards. collect whats in ur financial ability and desires.

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t really do that and obviously know I’m in such an infant state of collecting that there’s no point in drawing comparisons. I’m able to afford a decent amount, but I just haven’t targeted down 10s because I can’t decide if it’s worth it or not when I can snag a 9 for much, much cheaper.

Basically if I was given $100k to spend ONLY on card collecting, I still think I’d go for 9s. Just trying to see arguments for why I should be choosing 10s.

I know what you are talking about, and I have the same feelings for the most part. It’s all about Value to me. If i see card X for $100 in PSA 9, and in 10 it’s over $500? Am i willing to pay the extra $400 for that one grade? Most the time, No. I usually only search for 9’s when looking for a particular card, However if I can find a 10 for an amazing price i’ll pick it up. Or again, if I see the value there. Kind of like your used car example.

3 Likes

PSA 10s are for high end or super picky collectors or investors. Most of the market agrees with you and don’t pay that premium. You are not alone here OP, there really isn’t much to understand.

1 Like

Buy the grading company, not the card.

7 Likes

It realy depends… 9 is realy fresh looking card but with set cards I feel 10 is much more stable with value. (Expl 100 psa 10 against 800 psa9. And most off the time you can find difference between 9 and 10 yes ? (Corner neck or smth )

9’s are still Mint, mostly pack fresh, and that’s good enough for me most of the time. I’d rather be able to use the money that would be spent on the gap between 9’s and 10’s on accumulating additional cards for my collection. I do buy some 10’s, but that’s for cards that I personally find special and I know I want to have in a 10. I can always upgrade later if I change my mind down the road/have more income to spend.

Collecting 10’s is not for everyone and if it’s not worth it to you right now, I wouldn’t do it.

1 Like

You can pull a pack fresh card and it not be a PSA 9. For that matter I recently got a Natta Wake Pikachu back from PSA. I really hoped it would get a 10 and it got a 9. I have no idea why, but it’s the same minty card either way. If I wanted I could crack it and resend, but that doesn’t change the card I own, just the way others view the value.

3 Likes

You are actually too woke for the PSA 10 collectors to understand. Just keep picking up their “trash” while they are sleeping :wink:

3 Likes

If you send a card to get graded and it comes backs a 10 then we all agree a 10 is better than a 9. If you are getting a card you love graded for the registry and protection then whatever grade it comes back shouldn’t matter.

If you love a card and can afford the 10 go for it. But only if you love it.

Either way you can always downgrade or upgrade until you are happy.

Buy the card not the grade.

Not sure if this is a stab at me or not… lol

Buy 9s! You get the most value out of a PSA 9 card.

I do think for some high demand items, getting a PSA 10 may be a good option because you put yourself in a higher tier of rarity and therefore have potential to see growth in the value of your card.

Collect what makes you happy. Give it some thought before blindly buying PSA 10s. I bought some PSA 10s blindly only to end up selling and buying 9s instead.

“Buy the Grade, not the card.”

• Scumpratte
6 Likes

I hope that clarifies my intended meaning

17 Likes

Hmm. Yes. I’d say that indeed clarifies your intended meaning. Good God, man. That’s an awesome thing you’ve got there.

3 Likes

I had my own internal struggle when initially choosing between 9 or 10s. Obviously the 10s are psychologically more satisfying and tend to fluctuate more making them ideal for flipping. But when can get 8 copies of a card in PSA 9 with a little holo scratch or a ding on the back for the price of a single PSA 10 (which may also have scratches or dings), from the perspective of my own personal collection, the value you get per dollar with WOTC 9s is just unmatched

3 Likes

@pkmnflyingmaster, Did you sprawl out all those cards for that post?