Rarest Coro Coro cards?

Hi guys. So recently I’ve been selling off some of my sealed collection in an attempt to save up for some rare singles. Coro Coro cards really interest me, so I’ve been looking around, but… which ones are actually rare?

There seem to be MANY of them, and to be honest, I’m not sure how to even start researching each and every one. I know here on efour, lots of people have the absolute most rare cards. Cards where 1000 or less were printed, for example. I don’t have that kind of money, however, I’d still like to collect something more rare than standard set cards.

My only current “rare” coro coro promo is the Ken Sugimori Glossy Pikachu which I managed to get for $15 not too long ago off ebay. It’s in bad shape, but knowing how few are around, it’s still cool to own. I’m looking for stuff like that, cards that are generally hard to find… but not prize/trophy card hard to find.

If anyone could point me in some sort of direction I’d appreciate it! I honestly don’t know all that much outside of set cards, so I’d like to branch out. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Are you looking for rarest, or hardest to grade? None of the CoroCoro cards are particularly rare, but PSA 10 pop for some is a different story.

1 Like

I suppose hard to grade would work too. Just something hard to hunt for, although, if its low pop psa 10s, it might get out of price range quickly lmao.

Any other rare Japanese promos out there would be cool too, I’m really just looking to branch out from set cards, to other obscure rarer cards if that makes sense

If you’re looking for hardest to grade Coro Coro, checkout the Haxorus holo
121/BW-P…only 3 have been graded by PSA. A PSA 6,7 & 10. Released in 2012, the cards have slight damage across the front. The cards look fine but when tilted in the light you can see the horizontal wear. I was told it was created by rubber bands being too tight on the magazines, not sure if that’s true.

You can find a few played copies between $15 to $25, but haven’t seen anything that would grade very high.

1 Like

It sounds to me like you’re after something different that is more unique and since your open to Japanese, promos are your gateway into a new world of cards.

Although raising in price more recently like most cards, I’d absolutely recommend taking a look at the Masaki promos. They offer such a kick from the art, history, distribution, rarity. These things I think you are looking for over a regular set card.

The cards come under “Evolution Campaign Communication” on Bulbapedia.

Also if you go onto Bulbapedia, the section “Unnumbered Promotional cards (TCG)/1996-2005” is where you will find every card you’re looking for.

Good luck

4 Likes

If you’re interested in CoroCoro promos in particular, here’s a list:
pokumon.com/card/?_sft_release_event=corocoro&_sfm_estimated_number_distributed=0+39000

They’re not particularly rare though, remember that these magazines were printed in the millions. If you want truly rare cards they are going to be expensive, no real way around that. Here’s a list of cards that have somewhat-known

The cheapest “limited” card I can think of are the 3 cards from this campaign: pokumon.com/card/cobalion-037-bw-p-japanese-promo/

They’re limited to 2000 each and are around $300 for a set of 3.

2 Likes

Hey!

I don’t know what your budget is but I’d like to suggest the CoroCoro Battle Strength promos.

Basically it was a mail in lottery back in 2011 and 1000 is winners got 2 sets of these three promos. So, only 2000 cards have been distributed in total. On top of that, the artwork is unique to these cards. You can go an Mercari Japan and find some sellers offering the entire set for $200-$300. I literally got all three of these cards for $300 this week.

Link to more history on the cards:

pokumon.com/battle-strength-campaign/

Beat of luck!

3 Likes

Coros we’re released by the 10s of thousands in magazines. I’ve always liked them a lot. Condition issues arise if your grading them though.
I’m actually going to be giving out hundreds of them all sealed or on card for donations at an upcoming collectacon. Like a 10-15.00 donation gets one. Nothing higher.
Pictured are the ones that I’ll sign for those who’d like.

2 Likes

Thats super cool, ty for all the info! I’ll take a look at everything for sure

Really interesting actually, I’ve never seen em before. Thanks!

1 Like

That’s awesome!

It looks like as far as Coro Coros go, I’ll have to be on the hunt for some graded versions

If you’re talking about the CoroCoro “Ivy” Pikachu, it’s not the Sugimori version that’s rare. It’s the Keiji Kinebuchi version.

The Sugmori version is still a very nice card to own, though, especially given its history.

2 Likes

Perhaps try and find a card still unpeeled in the magazine.
Although you’d need about 25 storage containers if you wanted to collect every corocoro promo this way :laughing:
I picked one up for 30$ a few years ago, im assuming prices have increased but you might be able to find them still!

2 Likes

I assume you mean the glossy keiji kinebuchi one? The non glossy one is insanely common, at least compared to the others

I always thought they were about even in terms of rarity, I dont come across one more often than the other. Am I just ‘lucky’ then?

Correct, the glossy one, which is a CoroCoro release. (The non-glossy version isn’t a CoroCoro promo and, as you correctly note, not at all rare.)

1 Like

Definitely lucky! (And I’m jealous!)

The Kinebuchi CoroCoro is rarer than the Sugimori version. It’s not even close :blush:

Ah you were talking about the glossy Kinebuchi version, I dont come across that one at all lol. And if I did it would go straight to @quuador

2 Likes

Yes, the glossy one. The non-glossy version is not a CoroCoro promo.

1 Like

I’m sure Quuador will pop up here soon with his encyclopedic knowledge of all things Pikachu. If not though, there are so many different versions of that card it seems. I’ve been unable to locate a single copy of the Keiji Kinebuchi Glossy version. I don’t believe Quuador has yet to find it either. The non glossy Keiji isn’t crazy rare, but I see Ken Sugimori versions more than anything. Can’t say much for official numbers, but my impression is that keiji versions are overall rarer than sugimori. Combining all versions, maybe like 30% Keiji, 70% Sugimori? Being conservative with that, but I’m also 100% pulling those numbers out of my butt. Simply general impressions.

1 Like