Most valuable/rare Japanese promo cards?

Hey guys so just like Scott says eventually you feel an itch to expand from set cards and chase after promos. I’ve been very interested in the higher end play promo cards. I was wondering what other Promos are rare/scarce/valuable? Obviously I’m not asking about the illustrator/trophy cards but more about the less talked about hidden gems. What Japanese promos are you guys looking at? I’m asking about cards that are In that couple hundred - couple thousand price range. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks!

1 Like

My favorites are:

Mew EX 007/PLAY
Fan Club Eevee
Fan CLub Porygon
Fan Club Shining Magikarp
Daisuki Master Scroll
Grand Party Trainer
Team Rocket Special Case Giovanni and Team Rocket Cards
Mario Luigi PikachuMasaki

Those are all in that price range

4 Likes

For now I’m keeping an eye out for finishing the rest of the play promos for the eeveelutions just espeon and umbreon. The master scroll is nice too and the daisuki cards. The ooyama cards are really beautiful too and unique in its own way.

1 Like

Those are some good ones to start with. I’d like to add the Masaki Promos. They’re a staple with an interesting history.

If you want to dive into the wacky side of Promos, I’d recommend you to look up PokeDude.
m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9_Dude_(Fan_Club_promo)

Generally the Unnumbered Promo card site of bulbapedia is a good resource to get a touch of interesting Promos.
m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnumbered_Promotional_cards_(TCG)

2 Likes

Good suggestions! Is there a specific masaki card you recommend? Also can anyone shed light on the Daisuki releases? Any history would be great

1 Like

Coro Coro promos, game boy promos. They are a bit lower end than the Masaki set but have really nice art.

4 Likes

I second that! The GB Promos are my favourite ‘mini set’ of cards.
And some of the coro coro promos have a surprisingly low PSA 10 pop and earn prices in the 200-400$ range (for example Lily Pad Mew).

I think Pcg-P promos are considerably rare. Also kind of a pain to grade since many have white borders and chip easily.

1 Like

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Master%27s_Scroll_(L-P_Promo_55)

Gengar and Alakazam are among the favorite masaki promos.
I third gameboy promos! Those are awesome! Specifically Dragonite, Lugia, and Mewtwo!

Fan Club promos (eevee-porygon-karp)

1 Like

The fan clubs are great, but one of my areas of expertise are the promos between 1996-2000. Here are a few that are in that really rare, but kinda niche category

Japanese Gotta Mew “Glossy English” $100+ Raw
Japanese Gotta Pikachu “Glossy French” $150+ Raw
Natta wake B-day Pikachu $150+
Japanese JR Railroad Meowth “English” $100+
WHF Pikachu $60+
Toyota Pikachu ~$100
Any Masaki, but Gengar seems to demand the highest price $100+
The airline promo cards cards
JR Stamp promo eevee and mewtwo sealed
Pikachu records sealed “comes with charizard, blastoise and venusaur and several others”
Red & Green Quick Starter Gift Set Promo Decks
Neo Intro Deck
Bulbasaur and Squirtle Intro Deck
GB Promo Set, especially Mewtwo and Lugia Holos
Champion Road “Gold Star” Cyndaquil, totodile and chikorita (Very niche, but tough to find)

I gave some prices off the top of my head assuming “mint”. The decks have started to cost a lot, but the artwork is incredible and more bang for your buck in terms of number of cards!

Edit: Can’t leave out the Mt.Fuji Surfing Pikachu… That one is AWESOME! $100+

3 Likes

Wow thank you for taking the time to write all this out. Since you are an expert in this category. Have you seen any significant growth in any specific cards here lately?

The Fan clubs have seen a good deal of growth and those Gotta cards are niche, but they have gotten real expensive. There are only a handful of them graded and the pikachu is pretty valuable.

Any pikachu will be worth good money. The Natta Wake B-day is a great card and Toyota has very unique shading. I strongly recommend the Mt. Fuji Pikachu, Natta Wake, Masaki Set and even a sealed Pikachu Records as they have seen a bit of a price bump. Like I said, can not go wrong with a Pikachu Promo.

I left it off the other list, but the Japanese “english” Gray star Pikachu promo is also a hot commodity, but some of the other japanese promos are more popular I think.

Edit: Check out this link for a list of all the old school japanese unnumbered promos.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnumbered_Promotional_cards_(TCG)/1996-2005

1 Like

Maybe venture into modern promos- Uniqlo pikachus are very nice. They’re all done by relatively new artists too (all 4 starting around 2010).

5 Likes

Thanks for the info really appreciate it. Will check that out

The really cool and obvious Japanese promos have already been listed in this thread. Here’s a few more I think deserve some attention:

• Daisuki Club Raichu
  • Daisuki Club Gold Point Pikachu
  • 2005 Daisuki Pokemon Fan Club #96
  • Copycat Legend Winners Prize
  • Burned Tower - Reviving Legends Prize
  • Mysterious Pearl - Winter Battle Road
  • 2007 and 2008 Battle Road Promos (cynthia’s feelings, bebe’s search, etc)
4 Likes