Quuador's Collection - Spare book closet put to good use

Time for another ‘Pikachu around the World’ post. I will quote what I said at the top of the previous part:

The first part we did last time was for the Traditional Chinese Pokémon TCG language. This part can be found here. Today, we have the second language, which is a pretty small one with just six released Pikachu cards. It’s my own native language, so it therefore wasn’t too hard to track down these cards, and it was also the first Pokémon TCG language I completed for my Pikachu collection:

Dutch:

Let me start with a picture of all Dutch Pikachu cards again. The Dutch portion of my Pikachu collection is complete.

The first Dutch set was the Base Set, released on February 24th, 2000 (source). This set was released in both 1st and unlimited edition in Dutch, although the unlimited edition print run had a smaller print run from what I’ve heard.
In addition, there were a few products accompanying this Base Set release: 2-Player Starter Set; Overgrowth Theme Deck; Zap! Theme Deck; Brushfire Theme Deck (translated Kreupelhoutvuur lol :laughing: ); and Blackout Theme Deck.

The Base Set contained the 58/102 Pikachu, in both 1st and unlimited edition:

The second Dutch set released was Jungle, released somewhere in 2000 (I couldn’t find a release date). This set was also released in both 1st and unlimited edition, and contains the 60/64 Pikachu card:

And the third and final Dutch set that was released was Fossil (again somewhere in 2000, but I don’t have a release date). This set didn’t contain any Pikachu cards. The Fossil set was the final Dutch set, and starting from the Team Rocket set, cards released in The Netherlands were released in English, which still holds true to this day.

As for promos, there are only two Dutch promo cards, both coincidentally being a Pikachu. :blush:
The first one is the Dutch WotC #4 promo, released as one of the nine cards of the Pikachu World Collection 2000 set. As mentioned earlier when we discussed the Chinese releases, this set of nine cards was released at the Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia, in September 13th, 2000, and features a golden Pikachu tail shaped stamp at the left-hand side.

The second Dutch promo is the same card, but without stamp. This card came with some copies of the Dutch DVDs and VHSs of the second Pokémon movie (thanks @poketrade for the info), which was released in October 2002.

One interesting thing, is that the other three WB promo cards haven’t been printed in Dutch. Only this Pikachu was printed. When I first heard about this, I figured the reason was because they already had the card layout ready to go due to the Pikachu World Collection 2000 release. But when I put the two cards side-by-side (see the second picture below), you can clearly see the texts of the first attack and inside the block at the bottom are translated differently (although the meaning is still same). The used font also seems slightly different. And the weakness, resistance, and retreat costs at the bottom are in lowercased on the stamped version, but title-cased on the non-stamped version.

And that’s it. A brief summary of all the Dutch released Pikachu cards.

The next language we’ll discuss is going to be English. Considering the size of that upcoming part, I’m not sure yet when this next part will be posted, but at least know it will be coming in the near future and will be one big wall of text and pictures lol…

Greetz,
Quuador

15 Likes