Question Regarding Tough Cases for Slab Storage

I know a lot of people use Pelican style hard cases for storing slabs and it seems for good reason. However, I remember reading where some one reported having damaged cards as a result of it staying sealed for too long. Something about the pressure being unable to escape the case and damaging the cards inside the slabs. IIRC I saw that on this forum but I can’t seem to find it now. Does anyone remember seeing something similar?

Otherwise, if you use a Pelican style hard case to store slabs have you experienced any damage to the cards over time? Have you left the case sealed for extended periods of time (> 1 year)?

Don’t buy any case that can perfectly seal unless you are opening it every month or two as well as using and changing desiccant pouches. Humidity not being able to escape can become a big problem and damage cards over time.

2 Likes

I’ve never used this product. I think it’s a bit goofy.

I would recommend these:

7 Likes

I always laugh when people have 6 or 7 figure collections in $8 ugly white cardboard boxes but it gets the job done so can’t knock it

6 Likes

I find graded card carrying cases to be cringy for the most part.

The “Pokemon stonker” drip nowadays is: beard, backwards cap, Cuban link gold chain(s), a half or full tattoo sleeve, a vape pen, ripped/faded jeans, a sports team jersey, Jordans, and reeking of B.O., pot, or cigarettes. Seeing men in their mid-30s and mid-40s dressed like this and carrying a slab case of shiny Pokemon cards just doesn’t fit in my brain. It’s so goofy.

11 Likes

I use my etb boxes to store my slabs lol

2 Likes

Why is this description so accurate?
And why I can’t take it off my mind now?

1 Like

Is it accurate? You guys must hang around very odd people. I’ve never once experienced anyone even close to the caricature described above.

1 Like

The peilican cases should be fine. That dial on the front of the case is for releasing preasure and should prevent a build of humidity. I keep my case stuffed with a few decadent packs just in case and I cycle them out every so often just to be safe.

2 Likes

I suppose it depends where you live.

Have you ever been to collectacon?

2 Likes

It’s a spot-on description of a lot of folks at every collect-a-con I’ve attended :joy:

No, and now I fear I never will.

1 Like