Question regarding the whitening of borders for PSA grading

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and this is my first time posting. After stumbling upon this site a few days ago and reading through some posts, I feel as though this is exactly the community I need to be asking the following question to. Also, before we get started: I have many cards that seem to have no border wear at all. Thankfully, only a pretty small portion of my collection has these issues!

I recently took my massive collection of cards out of our storage unit for the first time in 20 years. I’m currently in the middle of itemizing, upgrading the protection on every card, and deciding which ones I want to have graded when the time is right.

I’m my relatively short time (in the grand scheme of things) researching how PSA and BGS grade cards, the one element that seems really hard to get an answer on is border whitening. So many graded cards have varying degrees of this, yet all cards exist with the same grade. So many people will eyeball a card and knock it down while guessing the grade or say, “yeah, that’s a 9” and it just leaves me unsure of what I actually have to work with.

The purpose of this post is to hopefully educate myself, and anyone else in the future who needs this info, about what exactly constitutes as acceptable whitening and could still allow a card to get a grade of 8 or higher. I’m really hoping all of you can help shed some light on this for me.

For the sake of simplifying this discussion, let’s just assume that every card I’m posting is pristine up to this point, and that the border condition of the cards is the last element needing to be inspected in order for the card to receive a final grade:

*The white border on the left of each card is due to the light source in the room, not damage. You can see some damage on that side of a few cards, but just want to clear that up*

If anyone on here would be willing to give this some time and guesstimate what the grade would be based off of the border alone, I would really appreciate it.

I look forward to discussing your input!

Out of all those cards, only the last one (maybe last 2) might score an 8.

Based on the backs alone, most of them are probably PSA 5 or 6. However, it’s completely down to the grader. I’ve had dog-eared cards score an 8 before and minty fresh cards score a 7. Anecdotally (subbed around 400 cards in the last 3 years), they also seem to be a bit more lenient on WOTC era cards and much more strict when it comes to modern.

Personally, unless you’re wanting to grade your childhood cards for your personal collection, I probably wouldn’t bother grading any of those. They’re much better off in a binder.

3 Likes

PSA and others graders also factor in the centering, corners, surfaces and overall card quality when determining the grade so it’s hard to know based off these pics without seeing the front. I definitely agree most of these looks LP-NM so PSA 5-7 would be my guess as well.

1 Like

Welcome here @pmj13, in the future, questions about what grades your cards will get need to be posted here: www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-professional-grading-thread/30930/1

1 Like