Pulpyfan's Collection

Since the announcement of the Art Academy winners in 2015, I decided my goal would be to find Mew. I was enamored with the mystery behind this little Pocket Monster since I was a kid. I remember in the original GameBoy games, you had to go through an arcane set of steps just to obtain the 151st Pokémon. In Pokémon Silver & Gold you either had to trade with someone from the original game or use a Gameshark. Talk about a challenge! Thank you GameFAQs.

Pokémon: The First Movie brought the mythical Pokémon to the big screen and to the adoration of many youngsters across the globe, me included. The mythos of Mew was then amplified with the release of Pokémon: The Movie 2000. Ancient Mew’s popularity mixed with the the already legendary status of Generation I’s ultimate Pokémon helped add something magical to the series. The mystical appeal of all the legendary Pokémon is something that really drew me into the Pokémon universe. Whether it was the Legendary Bird Trio or Ho-oh and Lugia, Mew will always hold a special place in my heart.

Below I’ve posted a close up shot of the Art Academy Mew. While the illustration isn’t my favorite in the TCG, Celebi takes the cake on that one, it’s colorful palette and underwater depiction help it stand out as a beautiful piece of Pokémon history. The beneath-the-surface shot is very reminiscent of some of my most beloved illustrations. I’ve posted a few of them below.

8 Likes