PSA: Wrong release dates of Japanese expansions

Hello everyone,
I’m a collector for almost 20 years and now got interested in getting my TCG-cards graded by PSA. As I’m focussing on Japanese cards of the first expansions, I was wondering why PSA lables the Jungle and Fossil expansions wrongly as to have been released in 1996 (instead of 1997) and the Team Rocket expansion wrongly as to have been released in 1998 (instead of 1997)? Will they ever go to correct this mistake?
If this question came already up, I’m very sorry for bothering you all, but I wasn’t succesful in searching the already existing threads.

Kind regards from Germany,
Martin

1 Like

PS: As i was searching the internet, i realized that BGS has the correct release dates on the sets. Would it not therefore perhaps be more reasonable to get the cards graded by BGS as they lable them correctly? Other grading companies like CGS seem to have simply copied the error by PSA.
Martin

PSA’s data is very poor. Simple as that.

2 Likes

Hi @hypernova,
Thank you very much for your reply! So there is absolutely no possibility that PSA will change this error in the future? I’m asking because in that case I would just wait a little longer to get my cards graded as I’m doing it mainly for personal reasons and not business aspects. However, in general, I think that a big company like PSA should do a little more research before grading cards. At least the name of the set and the release date should be correct.

Martin

This has also annoyed me. I think it is because the old back design says “1996” regardless of when the set was released, and there are no other print dates on the old Japanese cards. But then again, why do they then label Rocket as 1998? PSA would have to google the sets to find the proper release year and that is probably too much effort to expect from them.

Yeah it’s dumb just another one of those things that you have to gloss over with PSA lol. No amount of direct evidence will change their mind, you could be Ash Ketchum in the flesh and they wouldn’t care

1 Like

Hi @scarecrowman88 and @shizzlemetimbers,
Thank you very much for your kind responses! The explanation that PSA staff mixed up the publication date of the sets with the copyright notice on the back of the cards actually makes sense to me, at least to some extent. I’ve never noticed before that even in the case of the Gym Heroes expansions the copyright notice states 1996. In my opinion, this is also somewhat strange. However, as you have mentioned, google alone would have helped a lot, so that I can’t understand why they haven’t been a little more careful when adding a new set to their protfolia.

Another explanation that came to my mind, is that maybe the first person who submitted Japanese cards from the mentioned expansions made a mistake and they just copied it? It would be great to know who submitted the first cards of the Jungle or Fossil expansion to ask him/her directly.

Too bad that grading via Beckett does not seem possible from Europe. For my private collection, I would rather have the correct data on the case, regardless of what is currently more popular in general.
Martin

Hi, if you want to grade with Beckett there’s a trustworthy middleman service in Italy. At the moment is suspended because of the endless turnaround for grading that Psa and BGS are experiencing and so there’s no point in sending them to grade now, but I can give you the contacts if you’re interested

Hi @andrea,

Thank you very much for your reply. I didn’t know that Beckett accepts submissions from Europe at all. I always thought that their service is US-only. In Germany we have a few middlemen who are doing PSA submission and are connectet to GradeGem and Ludkins. Their service is also very good. I myself am still torn whether to use PSA or Beckett. However, if you could send me the contacts of your recomended person via private message, I would be very grateful.

Martin

1 Like