PSA to launch Vault service this Summer

4 Likes

Can I get a vault for my vault?

1 Like

More competition is good. Would love to see one of these vault services have a midwestern US location so I can drop off and pick up in person.

I’m personally not a fan of vault services, but thats only due to the nature of how I collect.

I will say though, I trust a PSA vault more than an eBay vault.

3 Likes

They are opening in states without sales tax so it can be avoided when it sells on a marketplace. Location is pretty limited as it looks like the only states without sales tax are Oregon, New Hampshire, Montana, Delaware, and Alaska.

3 Likes

CU will now own the grading company, vault storage and the marketplace to sell the items on. Huge win for Goldin as this should expand their customer base substantially. Can CU modernize Goldin’s website and business model to make it the new industry leader? I think that’s the goal but will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Curious to hear others opinions on this.

So If I get this correctly:

Send to PSA → PSA grades the card → to the PSA Vault → People trade inside the vault → Cards don’t even surface outside other marketplaces anymore → Pure Dominance.

5 Likes

So many recent investments from PSA and ebay on vault services. I wonder if there will be a return on investment for these companies over the next few years, or if demand will decline.

I 100% agree that you need to protect your assets (Pokémon cards), but keeping a card locked away in a vault never to be seen is like having a garage queen sports car that you never drive. Not my taste.

6 Likes

Curious.

Interesting but not remotely surprising.
In fact, I predicted this in 2020

1 Like

I still think Ebay Vault might be where my business goes

4 Likes

A vault is easily replicated and there is not much initial capital investment as I remember seeing an article about the PWCC Vault being constructed for around 4 million dollars. That is virtually nothing for eBay who has revenues of over 10 billion each year. It is probably a larger undertaking for PSA, but manageable with the growth they have seen in recent years.

We knew it was coming, but to use goldin, yuck. Their website is a nightmare. Competition is definitely heating up, EBay and PSA launching their vault around the same time! Now, who will give us the best opening offer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was afraid of the market getting too divided between all those vault services, especially for intetnational availability, but if you can still list your cards on eBay saying “ships from X vault”, or maybe ship via GSP yourself, it’s purely a competition of the better vault option. For most cards at least.

I don’t think it’s in any company’s best interest to prohibit “cross-listings”, so I’m excited for every new competitor.

Wait I thought the PSA vault was where they store all our August 2020 bulk submissions that they haven’t graded yet

10 Likes

A vault in Alaska would be pretty sick (just the idea, not the actual practicality)

An interesting segmentation to all of these vault services is whether or not they will accept graded cards for different companies. I.e will the PSA vault eventually accept CGC or Beckett graded cards? Could be an differentiating factor for some.

Free Business Idea for PSA: offer a discounted reholdering service if you submit a mixed bag of cards to their vault

This hits too close to home :sob:

eBay literally kicked PWCC off their platform so I highly doubt they will let other vault services list on their site especially since they will all be using different marketplaces than eBay. eBay wants you to use their vault, not their competitors. It doesn’t stop people from just taking screenshots of their vault items and listing them on eBay, but it will probably be easier to just use eBay’s vault when it becomes available.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense, what I meant though was your last sentence, you as a private seller, not the actual vault in PWCC esque appearance, listing on eBay. People will do that and how could eBay even track that down. So yeah it will be easier then to use eBay’s vault so they will wanna make sure it’s competitive too.