PSA stopped authentication of Pokemon autographs?

I figured I’d make a post here since this seems relevant and might helps someone before wasting their time.

It seems like PSA has not been authenticating any Pokémon card autographs since their head authenticator has been let go most likely due to the cut signature authentication debacle.

My whole submission was inconclusive and they were mainly just Harada signatures.

I have talked to numerous people and they all said the same thing that their submission also all came back inconclusive, even common autographs like recent Arita autos.

One person even showed me the letter he received that he would be refunded but not compensated for this large inconvenience.

Another user wasn’t so lucky since he submitted a couple cards through a middle man an did not receive a refund.

A few other user confirmed that the head authenticator was fired.

Hopefully they hire someone new soon, but many people seemed irritated and mad as there has been no public response about this.

TLDR: hold off on sending to PSA for auto authentication

21 Likes

That’s disappointing. There are multiple people here who could do that job and not cut out signatures! :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Literally sent in an Express auto order this week. :headstone: RIP

This card is MTG, so maybe I will stand a chance at receiving the service that I’m paying for.

6 Likes

This is why I posted. I saved one guy on IG from sending and he unpacked his order.

This is not right for PSA to be silent about this and just waste all our time by waiting a month then to come back as inconclusive.

9 Likes

What happened with cut signatures? Completely out of the loop since I don’t follow grading at all.

2 Likes

The head authenticator created his own cut signatures. He used a Saitou autograph and the artist saw it and was not very happy (rightfully so).

PSA took action and fired him I suppose.

I’m more surprised that he was literally the only one that authenticated these or at least had final say.

3 Likes

I’ll let y’all know what happens on this one. Because it’s express, I imagine that it will be graded within 7 days.

4 Likes

Forgive me for asking again, but what do you mean by his own “cut signatures”?

7 Likes

tl;dr is: they took signatures from shipping labels etc., cut them from the original cardboard, made a ‘custom card’ which they glued the signature on, and then got the signature on the ‘custom card’ authenticated.

9 Likes

Oh what? That’s insane, so he was getting those ‘custom cards’ graded himself at PSA, while also being the person who has the final say on authentication? How does that even happen??

1 Like

I don’t know if there is factual info about that, and I don’t wish to speculate on it. From what I’ve seen people just find ways around the system, which probably isn’t all that water-tight anyway.

FWIW ‘custom cards/proxies’ with signatures have been graded for a longer time, it generally says ‘CUT’ on the label.

1 Like

My Arita autos have been there since September lol will see what happens.

For the background info

Also it was briefly discussed here

8 Likes

Lmao. I did this with my painting’s shipping label from Arita lol…
But that is just sitting somewhere in a drawer.

I should definitely get it graded

2 Likes

Wonder when they were let go. I highly doubt only 1 person has final say on some of the more common tier stuff like Harada or Arita.

I had some stuff submitted around Nov 12th that arrived back all authenticated a few days ago.

1 Like

That I have no idea on. I would have assumed there would have been more than 1 guy to sign off on them as well.

It’s disappointing this happened, but I only know what I’ve found out from other users who submitted and my personal experience (my order arrived Nov 14th).

I would have thought that common autos like Harada and Arita would be more easy to authenticate as well.

I don’t want to speculate but maybe their could be more to the story behind the scenes.

Glad you got your autos authenticated though.

I expected something more sophisticated… not whatever that is lol

2 Likes

there’s a huge difference between a fan keeping that from a purchase, and the head grader from the largest authentication company, purchasing, manufacturing, authenticating, and then reselling their own custom cards - knowing that the artists have explicitly asked for their signatures not to be treated in this way

12 Likes

Pokémon company needs to let these artists charge a fee to sign stuff sent to a PO Box. That would pretty much solve this kind of shit in my opinion.

All this happened because the PSA employee cut and slabbed the “signature” from an envelope the artist had sent him. I don’t see how unlimited autographs to a PO box would have prevented this.

It’s also not a matter of Pokemon “letting” them do this. Most artists would not want to do this regardless of whether or not they had permission to.

6 Likes