PSA Review Service

Hi guys! I’m sure that this question has been answered before, but how does the PSA review service work? I only asked because I have a PSA 10 card that I feel is grossly over-graded and would like to see it’s accurate grade reflected on the label (like an 8 or 9). Will they bump down a 10? Normally, I’m cool with my 10’s being a bit off center or having a white nick on the corner, but this card has numerous factory lines (like 6, all vertical), bad corners, and is noticeably off-center. Even a 9 would be an over grade IMO.

I feel like an idiot because after giving the card a quick glance I left a positive feedback on EBAY, only to discover later, upon closer inspection, that the card is drastically flawed. However, I do hold myself responsible for not requesting more photos. Buyer’s mistake.

What kind of value are we talking here? They can actually refund you the difference if it has been misgraded. However, they’re quite stubborn. If it’s just a weak 10 they’ll probably just send you the card back and tell you it’s worthy of being a PSA 10.

From the description you provided it seems to be a PSA 8 or so… Would you mind showing us pictures?

2 Likes

Send them an e-mail or give them a call first to get things started. You should also upload photos here to get some better advice. PSA 10’s are NOT perfect cards and can have some imperfections but what you describe does sound like it could very well be an over grade depending on the severity of each.

IF the grade does drop after review you will be covered and pay no fees under the PSA financial guarantee of grade and authenticity. You would also be reimbursed for shipping to them in this circumstance. (Keep receipt/proof of payment!) You would then also be able to be reimbursed for the difference in values of the PSA 10 grade and whatever new grade the card received. They use eBay sold listings primarily to determine value but it can be a bit of a negotiation too. When I had a PSA 9 base 1st charizard reviewed down to a PSA 7 they came at me with an offer of the grade differential value. I countered and provided proof to my point and they agreed with my pricing and cut me a check and returned my PSA 7 about a week or two later.

If the grade doesn’t drop though you will be charged the standard grading fee and return shipping. So about ~$40 if you submit under the standard service review. Be sure you are confident it is indeed overgraded and worth sending back. If it is a $40 card or something I’d suggest starting a pile until you build up a few that need to go back.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Thank you @poken00b88 and @gottaketchumall for your replies! :blush:

I paid a bit for the card - $220 - over market but I was fine with that because this card is high on my wishlist. Anyways, here are the images. The slight bit of edge wear and the off center borders don’t really bother me. The factory lines are deplorable. I don’t consider myself a very harsh grader, but this is way too much IMO. You can’t quite see all of them in the photo, but there are 11 factory lines crunched into that tiny space.

Try not to scream.

@lugiaslair249 how can you determine if the scratching is on the inside of the psa case, or print lines on the holo? I have a Charizard with what looks like a blemish on the holo, but I can not tell if it is a blemish on the PSA case itself. Is there a way to tell?

In this case, I can definitely tell it is print lines though,but other cards can be tricky for me

1 Like

Thanks, Zach! :blush: It is tough to tell sometimes; honestly, if I see a scratch, I just inspect it until I determine where it’s located. In my experience, when the case is scratched, you can see the scratch no matter which lighting the card is in. Scratches on the card tend to hide depending on the lighting. I actually had to tilt this card at a certain angle to see the scratches.

Blemishes, though, I don’t have a lot of experience with. If I’m ever unsure, I go with what my eyes tell me are the answer. You should make a thread and give us some photos. :blush:

1 Like

If those are all on the card and not just inside the case as zach mentioned I’d agree this shouldn’t be a 10 IMO. But when it comes to PSA I have seen them in the past with other members here call some questionable things okay for a PSA 10 since they were “factory original”.

I’ve always said only send in for review if you KNOW the card is at least two grades lower. When I sent in the PSA 9 1st zard I “knew” it was no better than a PSA 5/6 and it came back a 7. I didn’t agree but had it originally been a 7 it was close enough that I wouldn’t have questioned it. If this was in a 9 case I think it could be reasonable but hard to say. I can’t say that I “know” this is an 8 or lower from the images you have shown alone. It is a tough call. Start with good photos in an e-mail to PSA and go from there. Be sure to update any results here if you go through with it.

2 Likes

I really appreciate this advice, thank you. I’m probably going to send it in; and I’ll certainly keep you guys in the loop as far as updates are concerned. :blush:

1 Like