PSA Returns And Prices?

1 Like

Charizard star psa 10 around $500-$600
PSA 9 around $275-$350

Did you buy these cards purely to grade and then sell? If so don’t you think that grading so many will devalue the cards in the long run faster than if everyone just graded what they needed to collect and sold when they needed to rather than just always having a sale in mind?

3 Likes

Honestly I sent away an extra set of pika pretend promos I June or july and honestly I kinda felt a bit shitty knowing I was gonna sell em on… like I made the choice I wasn’t going to do it again, what I will do though is put some cards up for high prices and if they go they go whilst sill being part of my collection and that’s it as far as reselling gos for me, other than that it’s just cheap spare jp EXs from the new sets which I get extra in my boxes. Call me stupid or whatever but it’s just how I feel on the subject.

3 Likes

The flip side is that it’s a perfectly legitimate thing to do for anyone who wants to, and ultimately puts prices down for all collectors. Isn’t this better than keeping prices artificially high and excluding people who can’t afford it from the hobby? I would rather my collection tanked 25% in value than people purposely preventing themselves from grading cards I may want to buy, to keep their values higher.

For me the value is in owning the card, not how much it’s worth and when I buy cards I do take into account resale value but overwhelmingly I write that money off as gone because it’s the card I prefer to have over the money! :wink:

2 Likes

I disagree with grading purely for profit. Thats weak sauce right there.

As for prices, best bet is to use the ebay sold listings page.

3 Likes

There are TONS of people who do that on Ebay now. Look at how many graded pokemon cards alone are for sale right now. Alot. I agree with hating people who sell just for a profit. I do it for the love of collecting, not to devalue a card with sending more copies of the card in for grading.

1 Like

A lot of young people don’t have the resources needed to build their collections so they can grade and sell which will help them along in reaching their goals. Plus it might even provide a few extra bucks for dates and food and stuff:)
It would be nice for everyone to be rich but those that aren’t need to be innovative.

5 Likes

It’s more a personal thing for me, I would weigh in that I most likely have one of the lowest paid jobs out of anyone on the forum but what I do because of this is limit my budget to accommodate both collecting and living, I simply disagree with it and was trying to show that rather than saying I have a big issue with people doing it, simply put it’s not for me and I doubt it ever will be unless one day I decide to try and buy the 1ed variants of mew, charizard and Ray stars as to me they cost alot of money but will one day be the last 3 cards for my jp star collection, even so I think I will likely just save up.

Luke@ I give you a lot of credit for working where you do and just keep in mind that if you stick with it other doors will open, and keep opening, until you’re in a place you love and can prosper:)

Much respect for the kind words gary, I’m sure working on moving up in the world, slowly, just gotta keep at it!

I don’t think that he was talking about the guys who don’t have the resources to “build their collections”. He was talking more about guys like RenazJuve and Rhea who seem to be more interested in the $$$ than the cards.

2 Likes

To some extent it does, it also results in a barren wasteland in regards to the raw card market. Everyone grading eveything valuable reduces number of raw copies out there and any that are out there are often overpriced because of the potential of buying it and receiving a high grade out of it.

1 Like

As a young person that works at a retail store, i have an idea of what you mean. But you didnt get my point. If youre goal is purely cash, then that is weak. I am far far far far far far far from being an anywhere close to rich. But you see a round of gold star charizards and rayquazas and im going to assume that person did it just for the huge amount of money theyd make. And considering they obtained 3 gold star charizards, a gold star espeon, a crystal charizard, and a gold star rayquaza, i can assume they arent doing too terrible with money at the moment.

2 Likes

a reasonable assumption considering the OP was mainly posting looking for values on the cards he just had graded.

I hope I see him list them so I can go and severely undervalue them and say I sold mine for one tenth his asking price.

Because that is legit, right?

2 Likes

He is definitely looking to cash in. I am not sure if one of the two Zards is the same one he had before on Virbank, but I tried buying one from him a while ago and he wouldn’t accept eBay sold values on the grounds that he had “sold” one for more to someone else … He is trying to squeeze as much out of them as he can.

1 Like

To expound on this point, the people that @patriotsfan117 mentioned are re-sellers, or whatever term you prefer for non-collectors/non-businessmen. What you want in any hobby or marketplace is stability. A proper collector and proper business will both be stable; they stabilize one another. However, the people who fall in between are essentially leeches and de-stabilize the market.

The easiest way to distinguish an actual seller from the people mentioned above is patience. Someone who is impatient is literally shooting themselves in the foot. They might make a quick buck, but in the long run, the “slow and steady” proper business with consistent inventory is much more stable and operating at a better pace.

A great example of this is the entire Gold Star bubble situation. There were so many “re-sellers” that popped up out of nowhere to try and get rich quick with gold stars. Now that the bubble burst, the manic re-selling has subsided. The market is more stable as the actual businesses and collectors now comprise majority of the market.

3 Likes

I agree with practically every point made here.

As a “low-resource” collector myself, I often can’t afford to buy anything that’s over $100 or so unless I sell cards to help pay for it. Grading cards in my collection and then reselling those graded cards at a profit helps out immensely with the costs of collecting. Sometimes I even buy cards knowing that I’ll immediately sell, or at least attempt to sell them. I’m not running a business, but I simply can’t afford to buy cards all the time without selling some of them.

Posts like this from @dulbasaur do get on my nerves though. I can’t really quantify it, but there is some point where a lack of attachment to the cards and a want for money, pure and simple, becomes the more detectable motive. Maybe it’s the phone screenshot with absolutely no text or information, just a title asking how much can I get for these, maybe it’s that they haven’t posted once in this entire thread other than the OP, or maybe it’s something else. As @patriotsfan117 said, it seems like these resellers are more into the money than the cards.

I suppose I share my position with @woolsluk. It’s not an overly big deal to me, I can’t stop anyone from doing it, but I disagree with the practice.

2 Likes

syuju17 is crazy and his listed gold stars in PSA 10 for the price of ungraded gold stars… This will probably make the market crazy all over the place if this keeps up.