PSA Mislabel or Fake? PSA 10 Raichu Base Set 1. Edition

Hello community,

Please allow me to make use of your expertise on the following matter:

I just came across a GERMAN PSA 10 1st Ed Raichu Base Set on ebay: (pop 28) Pokémon TCG Raichu Base Set 14/102 Holo 1st Edition *German edition* | eBay

Cert: Certification Verification 19303123

Is is just mislabeled (misses the ‘German’ on the label; should say 1999 Pokemon German) by PSA? It looks like a genuine Gen 7 PSA slab to me but I am sure some of you have better trained eyes. Appreciate your thoughts.

Is the question whether someone swapped out a legit card for a German version? Hard to tell with rough pics (and seller has very little feedback) but most likely a label error (1x cert PSA era was not great for Pokemon expertise)

4 Likes

The labels without the hologram were graded before April 2015: PSA Enhances Security With New Embedded Hologram

PSA only started grading non-English/non-Japanese cards in the last few years. The exception was Base set (ex: 1999 Pokemon First edition Base Set PSA 10 German Glurak | Charizard | eBay from the same time period)

That being said, PSA would sometimes mislabel foreign language cards as English, especially when the name of the Pokémon was the same. Some people intentionally sent in certain German :goldstar: because they would slip though (and there was no other way to get them graded).

So the TL;DR is that this Raichu is almost certainly just a mislabel

9 Likes

Thank you @pfm @pokecollectoramy for your insightful responses, much appreciated. The card was just sold for 1.7k. In fact, the same seller had sold this card for 5k (auction) on Dec 6. While the 5k was probably way too high (and hence not paid for), still a substantial price drop.

1 Like