PSA Damaged 50+ Yu-Gi-Oh

I am fairly new to submitting to PSA and live in the UK. In total I have sent around 500 cards and in general only had a handful of cards I thought were really badly graded.

I finally had some time over the holiday to give the cards a better look and found around 50-100 cards that have been graded 9-10 that have a sort of square imprinted on the cards. Obviously this must have happened through the grading process and after speaking to the 3rd party to submit these they reckon it happens more than you think with Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

I guess two questions from me:
• How likely is it that PSA will accept they caused the damage?
• What happens when there are no comps for the cards?

Examples of cards:

1 Like

Welcome here! Thanks for posting pictures of the cards.

To me, this looks like imperfections in the plastic PSA case and not anything that is on the card itself. I’ve seen these similar squares a lot on PSA-graded cards from the last couple years.

I don’t think PSA would compensate you in any way for this. You could opt to pay to have the cards reholdered, but you may just get the same issue again.

4 Likes

Agree with @fourthstartcg , in addition here an older thread documenting the square flakes: White particles in half of PSA cases bought from eBay - #38 by jabby

2 Likes

I posted a thread about having one of these little squares in my case too! I was told it’s just part of the plastic casing and that it’s nothing to worry about. :slight_smile:

Here is my thread: What is this blemish? How did this card get a 10?

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’ve been taking photos and circling the issues thinking I would be in a painful battle back and fourth.

I got a PSA 10 Silent Magician that when I saw what I thought was damage I was gutted. How about what seems to be a plastic bit that has come off on this card. Would they reholder this for free?

You never know unless you ask. If there’s actual debris in there, I think they’d be more likely to reholder free of charge. I’ve never gone through the process myself, but from what I’ve heard, submitting a request to the CRC can be very time-consuming even if they do end up agreeing to reholder for free. If it’s important to you, I’d probably just take the L and pay to reholder myself.

Additionally, this picture makes it very clear, the squares are exactly what others have noticed and are not on the card. It’s annoying, but it’s not damage thankfully.

6 Likes

When I get some plastic like that in the case, then I try to knock it to the bottom of the case so it is much less noticeable. It works most of the time. Just take the card and firmly tap the bottom edge along a hard surface. I wouldn’t waste my time and money recasing.

As others have said, these are imperfections in the plastic that result during the manufacturing/sealing process. There’s not much you can do to change it, as reholdering will not assure cases without the imperfection.

Those little squares aren’t on the card, it’s the case. I have a whole bunch of slabs like this. I doubt they will reholder for free. And reholdering comes with risks of damage too.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help. You have saved me loads of time. Great community (y)

8 Likes